2024 Turquoise Resolutions

I’d love to have 1907 or even earlier. I live outside of Charleston, SC so old houses are very common. My Aunt’s house which my cousin now lives in has been added on to but the original house dates to at least 1850 and possibly 1830. I love old houses!

6 Likes

That’s a whippersnapper. 1860 over here. :grin:

5 Likes

Oh, interesting about the asbestos in the popcorn ceilings. I didn’t realize they were still using it that late. My house was built in 1981 and has popcorn ceilings; it’s possible that mine could be that way. I read the article, though, and it seems like as long as it’s dry and not coming down on you or getting wet or damaged, it’s not as much of a problem.

I used to live in a home that was built in 1962, and when we pulled out the dishwasher to put in new flooring, we found old asbestos tiles underneath it (rest of the floor have been replaced, they must have not replaced the flooring underneath the dishwasher). We actually threw a few back under the dishwasher because it was just a few pieces and thought it was interesting to have that there.

Love old houses! Don’t live in one currently but my parents rebuilt an abandoned 1913 farmhouse when I was growing up; it was a 10-year project that we all worked on together, which was not what your average teenager wanted to spend their weekends doing! Not as old as what some of you have and seconding what @Islandmomma said… Those old Charleston homes are awesome!!

2 Likes

To get back to the topic at hand, :wink: I also have some pieces that I bought early on that I no longer wear, or they weren’t what I thought they were. I need to trim down the herd in order to make room for higher-quality pieces that I really love. Some of the things I have now are things that I picked up because they were a good price or bought when I was not very educated about turquoise or NA jewelry. I really don’t know artists well enough to know I want a piece from someone particular, mainly because I have bought very little contemporary jewelry, and tend to buy more secondhand or older stuff. So that would be part of my resolution, to be more selective about what I’m buying and expand my knowledge to have a better understanding of styles and artists.

Although I would prefer to buy more directly from the artist or from stores where they know the background of the piece, I live on the east coast and don’t have much access to Native American jewelry, so buying online is the major way I obtain pieces. But since I also enjoy the treasure hunt aspect of shopping, I would still enjoy sites like eBay since there is so much to choose from. I’ve learned how to look for good sellers and ask the right questions in order not to end up with dud purchases.

8 Likes

Same thing here. I have a lot of stuff from when I first started including one really pretty stamped silver bead necklace. That is Carolyn Pollock. I think it’s some older piece. What I have been doing lately is following some people on Facebook in the private groups. There are several that I have gotten really nice pieces from. Of course I don’t usually get them at super low prices but I don’t have to go through all that eBay nonsense to find a good piece. And a good many of them I have gotten at a good bit lower than retail price. Now I just have to get motivated and sell…

3 Likes