7 Stone Coral Cuff

I am interested in learning a little more about this cuff and the coral in it. The background info that I got was that the jewelers father lived in Bisbee, AZ for a number of years and actually taught some of the Native American jewelers. Supposedly the cuff was made prior to the 70’s and the coral is Mediterranean. It is not hallmarked. It is very solid and weighs over 107 grams. Any information will be appreciated. Since the price of coral has gone up, I would also appreciate an idea of value. Thanks for your help.

9 Likes

OMGosh, I don’t know anything bout it, but love it!

2 Likes

Me too and it’s so comfortable that I didn’t remember to take it off last night and slept in it. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Hahaha, I could see myself doing that! I might like it as well as your big Dry Creek cuff. Cuffs are my favs.

2 Likes

Wow! Absolutely beautiful piece…love it!!!

1 Like

@Jason , @mmrogers and the rest of you knowledgeable jewelry sellers. Could you please give me your opinions about this cuff and the background info that was relayed to me? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

My reaction is that it doesn’t share a design vocabulary with Southwest jewelry. It has only the commonality of silver and coral and bezel setting, which is of course used in work from elsewhere. In particular, what isn’t ringing a bell stylistically is the silverwork.
https://tibetspirit.com/tibetan-silver-bracelet-with-turquoise-coral/
(If Asian, the metal is a lower grade than sterling or else plated; don’t know if you’ve tested.)

About the stated info, unfortunately a lot gets said to make a sale happen. This, to my eye, simply doesn’t show kinship with NA design.

2 Likes

I tested and it’s sterling. I’m not convinced about the Tibetan designation. I had friends who had a shop and sold a fair amount of that type of jewelry. This does not have the same qualities. There was also an Anglo master silversmith involved in this situation so possibly it is his work. I have looked online and done a google image search and turned up nothing that struck me as comparable. What about the possibility of an Anglo artist?

2 Likes

I like your thought process.
It does not look Asian to me.
Agree that it could have been made by an Anglo artist.
There are/were some Native artists that went against the norm on styles.

I have a beautiful Turquoise ring that was purchased from the artist. It has a simple bezel and details around the setting that were not traditional in the 1980’s when I purchased it.

1 Like

@Jason would you please consider joining this discussion and offer your opinion. Thank you.

Hi Island Momma.

Congrats on your purchase. While its a bit odd that a bracelet this substantial isn’t hallmarked, it is definitely hand fabricated, and the coral does look authentic.

Impossible to say whether or not it was made by a Native American silversmith. Its not common for Native American silversmiths not to sign work, but it does happen.

Stylistically, it doesn’t really look Native American. The spacing of the Coral cabs, and the method used to fill the space in between is something I’ve never seen in Native American work.

In an NA made bracelet, I would expect to see the settings arranged closer together, just distant enough for single silver beads used in between the stones to space, and provide for visual continuity. Typically the left over space on either side of the stone cluster would be left unembellished, or would be filled in with single fan shaped leaves, or filigree leaves arranged with 1/2 round flourishes and small silver beads to fill in left over space,

Here the silversmith has spaced the stones more widely and is using numerous pieces of round wire shaped into a loose “U” with ends melted round to fill in.

It’s pretty well done, but looks more like an ‘art’ piece created by a non-native silversmith, than NA work to me.

ETA: Be careful polishing it on a lathe. Coral is extremely heat sensitive and will discolor when too much friction is applied.

4 Likes

Thank you for all the information. I’m not too concerned about it not being Native American I just like the cuff and it’s super comfortable. Every time I look at the little silver pieces I see an ocean of old school telephone :telephone_receiver:. Lol.
I will not be doing any polishing except for an occasional wipe with a Sunshine cloth.

4 Likes

Now that you say that, I totally see the telephones! Makes it even cooler.

2 Likes

Ok, now I cannot unsee the telephones, lol!

4 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Now would you like some song lyrics to make your day even brighter? Lol

2 Likes

jim croce-“operator”!!!

3 Likes

steely dan-“rikki don’t lose that number”

3 Likes

ELO - telephone line

2 Likes

8 6 7 5 30nieeine (Tommy Tutone) as my hubby groans…noooooo

Sorry bout that one

2 Likes

“Blondie”
:notes: Call me on the line. Call me, call me any, anytime :notes: