A clear example of “not authentic”

Hello,

I’m brand new. I’m so new that this is my 2nd post and I’m still waiting for my first post to be approved :grin: Here I’ve got a necklace that my paternal grandmother left me. She was just so tickled over this bear claw necklace. From what I remember, she bought it for my Grampie. My cousins and I used to “ooooh” and “ahhhhh” over it.

I’ve had it in storage for years and only recently pulled it out for a jewelry inventory and I was a bit dismayed over the clear indicators of “fake”. I don’t know when or where it was purchased but my best guess is in the 80’s.

I am keeping the necklace but am interested in hearing your thoughts on the details and what your take on it is.

Welcome to the forum! That’s a really interesting piece. I think you’re looking at the red beads on the claws as questionable, yes? It makes me think the claws were previously drilled for another purpose, then re-used to make this necklace, and then later someone added the red beads to cover the previous drill holes. the clasp isn’t what we usually see with Native made pieces, but it may have been restrung at some point.

There are others more knowledgeable here about claws, and whether or not you can sell this piece with the claws intact. I believe they are considered protected or restricted, so it’s good you plan to hang onto it as a keepsake.

Turquoise and silver look legit, but i think the beads and flowers may not be 100% handmade. Hopefully one of our hallmark folks can figure out who LC is.

Cheers!

Yes, the bleeding from the red orange beads is what first caught my eye. Then I noticed how the beads and claws appear glued and shellacked. I’ve just texted my aunt to see if she remembers where Grammie bought it so will report back later!