A ring my son found that he asked me to try and get information about

My son purchased several rings the other day and messaged me about one that he thought was special. It is hallmarked with an etched script “SQ” that he is hoping is Silviano Quintana.
I am unsure what the stone is. It looks like it might be some type of Jasper but his pictures make it impossible to say for sure.
I have managed to get a little background info but haven’t found any other rings to compare his style. Is anyone familiar with him and his work? My son is hoping to identify the stone, determine if it is Silviano Quintana, and get an approximate value. The value part is important to me as well since he will probably end up bartering with me. :rofl:
Thanks for your help!image image image image

4 Likes

it is mind numbing trying to pin down a named jasper with the mass amount of varieties a search throws at you. just when you think it starts to look like ocean jasper you spot an agate that almost kinda looks the same, then the real fun starts if one of your clicks sends you to a click-bait hell site.

so I tried finding some info on Silviano Quintana:

good looking ring & did that yellow tag say 1 buck ?!?!

2 Likes

Yes and I think he got a group of sterling hollow ware and several rings for $9.00. There is a good 99 cent a pound Goodwill near him. I found similar info and also a picture of a postcard where Quintana was making a ring. I wonder what kind of value it might have.
And yes, I agree completely—-Jasper can be exasperating! :rofl:
Thanks Steve

1 Like

@Islandmomma-It reminds me of mookaite jasper. You can google it and see if it looks similar. Lovely stone!

1 Like

it reminds me a little of mexican boulder opal, too. hard to tell from the small pic, the character of the yellowish area.

2 Likes

@Jason are you familiar with this particular artist? It appears that he sort of disappeared from the public eye around 1954. It’s been very difficult to find much information. Thanks for your help!

He put it in the mail this morning so I’ll know in a few days-would be really cool if it turned out to be boulder opal.

1 Like

I don’t know what it is but it’s very cool! I love garage sale finds like this. Definitely a lot of treasures out there to be found.

1 Like

I am not familiar with this artist. It looks like our state symbol.

1 Like

Yes it is similar. Figured you knowing him was a slim chance at best since he seems to have disappeared from the public eye after 1954. He lived until 2003 but I haven’t found anything except old bio info. Thanks

I don’t know if Cippy Crazyhorse has a facebook page or is reachable, but that might be the best avenue to find out about this artist.

1 Like

Thanks for the great lead. I know some FB people who own and buy jewelry from him so I think I might be able to at least get a message to him. :blush:

The hallmark isn’t the same as Silviano’s, nor is the style at all like the very few published examples of his work. Nor would a stone like this have been likely…I think. The thin silver platform of the top surface just doesn’t have the feel of the Cochiti Quintanas’ approach, to me. I did see that there’s a Shelly Quintana, Kewa, listed as a jeweler in Schaaf, active to the present, but unfortunately without examples of that work.

1 Like

@Jason, I am now wondering if that’s what the ring is designed to look like and why the yellow stone.

Leopard Jasper maybe?