Alterations-

My new “treasure” has a tiny smear of resin that seems to have escaped final inspection. I’m wondering about tidying it up…mechanical,chemical… or “leave it alone!”? I’d need to point it out to anyone else & probably hand them my loupe but that’s how my eye/brain connection works :wink:
I want to lengthen it a bit but that’s no biggie-just add a few inches of chain at the back.
Opinions?

Hi what ya got? would love to try to help. Kyle

Our tech-wizard has offered his aid. Meanwhile,I’ll attempt a description.
Necklace of 7 medallions,set w/ turq. & coral inlay chip inlay in a bear paw design,each centered w/solid stone. I’m tempted to use “concho” as the elements are slightly domed & stamped but that’s pushing the definition for me. Center piece is slightly larger than the sides.Weighs 82 grams,16in.

1 Like

1 Like

Hi Steve, I love this piece! Hey looking at your piece now I would definitely go mechanical if you choose to clean it up. Using a solvent may damage the inlay. Here is an Idea that I have done working with inlay. You can sand down the resin using a household nail file. use the soft padded type designed to buff nails. Get the finest grit possible and go from there. This will not leave noticeable scratches. Then polish your stone with the non-abrasive nail buff.
To restore the patina there are commercial things like liver of sulfur but they tend to be very black. Believe it or not Clorox bleach on a Q-tip will turn it more of a grey. Go easy and wash it off when it’s the right color. Keep the Clorox off your stones! It may change the color of the stone or remove the polish. Here is the results of Clorox on the left and Liver of sulfur on the right after 3 minutes. Darker colors can be achieved after longer exposure.
Hope this helps, Kyle

1 Like