Another gem and mineral show today

I have a greater respect for jewelry makers since I tried my hand at lapidary a few days ago. Our club has a workshop set up and they will teach you how to operate the machines safely… Someone had donated some Montana Agate for people learning, After cutting the shape, smoothing the rough edges, shaping the dome, polishing it, 3 hours later I had made my first pendant. I started out thinking I would make a quarter moon, but as I polished more I began to see more in the stone. The white glimmered in places like snow covered pines. And the brown reminded me of a winter sky at evening. So I turned the piece 90 degrees and that is what I got. It takes patience. It was also my first time using power tools. I think I will get more confidence as we continue. All in all it was fun.

5 Likes

@hisweetpotato
Lapidary looks like so much fun!
We saw some equipment and tools for sale at the show. Hubby pointed it out, saying “You should try this!”
But I don’t want to invest in all the equipment, and get involved in another hobby!
I have several already that I struggle to find time for!

You must take some photos of the gem show to share with us!

I will take some photos to share.
Silversmithing is not something I would have the skills for. To cut and polish stones are only half the job. To all you silversmith artists, you people are the real treasures. Thank you.

4 Likes