Another gem and mineral show today

There was another gem/mineral show today!
My town has them twice a year, March and October.

Lots of turquoise!

Of course there were other gems, too.

I bought these pieces. The camera just wouldn’t capture the true colors. They are much more vibrant!
The group on the left are going to be a 5 stone necklace.

Hubby picked out the variscite for a ring I’ll make for him.

The oblong stone on the right just caught my eye.

And this miscellaneous group was in a small discounted bag. I think the dark stone is chrysocholla.

8 Likes

B4 & after adjustment for indoor lighting. now the colors POP

2 Likes

Thanks @Steve !
You captured the colors perfectly!
What kind of witchy magic did you perform here??? Haha!

My cell phone camera is notorious for making turquoise look weird!

photoshop - adjust lighting by sampling the areas in between the cabs that should/could be white every other color follows the same correction.
if I sampled the heavy shadow still seen next to some of the cabs the colors got blown out

3 Likes

@Stracci Your ring in the 1st photo!! Such a great turquoise stone & design! Did you create the ring? Our Gem & Mineral Society’s annual show is this weekend Oct 13-15. Hubby & I will be there - we’ve been going to it for years. Always a fun event & you never know what you’ll find there!

2 Likes

Thank you @Steve!
My husband has Photoshop too, but I never asked him how to use it. Maybe I should for any future photos!

Yes, I made that ring in the first photo, and it is Bisbee. That’s why it was fun to show it with that big Bisbee specimen!
Here is a thread with some of my creations, in case you want to slog through it, it’s rather long with lots of photos.

Turquoise jewelry I recently made

3 Likes

And just for laughs @Stracci , what were they asking for that Bisbee doorstop?

2 Likes

@StevesTrail
I didn’t see a price on it.
But judging from the other fist sized nuggets beside it, they probably wanted too much!

It’s really hard to find great Bisbee. From what I read on Wikipedia, John Hartman (Durango Silver Co) bought up the remainder of the super high grade rough. He cabs it and sells it on his Instagram page (NaturalTurquoise)for $$$ per piece.

So unfortunately, that stuff is unattainable to me.
The few cabs I found were old stock in a local antique mall.

2 Likes

Miso is helping with my new designs

8 Likes

Very pretty design. I like the pendant in upper left. Do you make jewelry for yourself and family or do you also sell? You picked out some beautiful Turquoise.

1 Like

How bout this for some expensive Bisbee…Bisbee Turquoise Squash Blossom Set Malouf on the Plaza

I remember the that beautiful ring. I bet that was a fun show. You got some amazing stuff!

1 Like

I made that pendant earlier this year. The stone is water web Kingman.
I used to sell, but it got too stressful. I only make jewelry for myself now.
It’s way more fun that way!

Ridiculous pricing, right?
Malouf’s is for tourists! It’s like a museum in there.

I’ve actually never been in there, but can tell online that they look pretty high end. I imagine this is extremely overpriced, but those stones look pretty awesome. I did actually shop in Ortega’s on the plaza in Santa Fe, and bought a pair of Ira Custer earrings that I didn’t feel were too much; unfortunately they’re a little heavy for me to wear often. They had some beautiful pieces with amazing bisbee stones.

I am fortunate to have a ring and a buckle with Bisbee. I don’t think the stones are super special in the ring, but I still like it. The stone in the buckle seems pretty nice.

Pretty Miso! You clearly have raised her right.

1 Like

@Ziacat
Every store/restaurant in Santa Fe is outlandish, just sayin’!
Super high priced!
Did you show those Ira Custer earrings? I’ll go back to the earring thread and look for them.
Edit: I think I see them, the tufa cast crosses? They look heavy! Very cool looking!

Miso is a boy, and he likes to plant his butt in anything I’m doing!

1 Like

@Stracci Wow, I’m impressed with your jewelry creations! You have a keen eye for stones, and your designs are simply beautiful. Artistic quality in all respects. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Well that may be true, but I still LOVE some of the restaurants like the Shed and Maria’s New Mexican Kitchen, yum.

Yes those are the ones. I shouldn’t have bought them, they’re really too heavy, but I do wear them once in a while.

My apologies, Mr. Miso :grin:

1 Like

Thanks @Patina !
I have so much fun making jewelry.
It is very satisfying, especially the final polish!

1 Like

:Seeing the beautiful stones at your recent Gem and Mineral Show is exciting. I can hardly wait for our club’s show next weekend. For anyone coming to CT to see the fall colors, don’t miss the 51st Gem and Mineral Show next Sat & Sun in Bristol CT.

1 Like