Another Ogg's Hogan purchase

I bought this little ring at Ogg’s Hogan in '15 around New Year’s. We had been in southern AZ for the week, and I didn’t think I would make it back up to Prescott, and had pretty much spent my budget. But on our last day we were able to get there. So I couldn’t purchase anything large, but found this little guy in a basket on one of the counters.

I love how the tiny stones surround the coral (I’m assuming) branch.

For those who haven’t been able to visit this shop, here are some pics (not mine) to make you drool…

14 Likes

Been there. One of the best!

2 Likes

I believe quite a few people on here have been. Hopefully we can encourage others to visit! I was checking again online to make sure his shop was still open since so many that I love have shut down. I’ve gotta get out there again!

Funny thing is I bought a couple items from the Hopi House at GC in '93 and '94, and according to a video about Ogg’s, he said he was the buyer there till '98. So I guess I was predisposed to shop at Ogg’s Hogan :laughing:

2 Likes

:star_struck:Not only do I love this ring, it gives me an idea to find a heart-shaped special ring of my own (since my dream heart ring by HH Begay isn’t available). Yours is sweet and unique. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I remember the ring you wanted! It was gorgeous. I was talking to my Phoenix buddy about visiting her next year, and I started thinking about Ogg’s. I’m so paranoid that shops I love are going to close.

I don’t wear this ring a lot, because the band is kind of thin and I don’t want it to bend. Seems like when I wear rings on my right hand in particular, bands flatten if they’re not thick.

1 Like

Beautiful ring. I like the heart design.
Something about the combo of turquoise and coral holds a special place in my heart.

1 Like

This is beautiful. You know I love hearts :grinning: Too bad the band is thin.

1 Like

Another reason I love Ogg’s is you can find beautiful older pieces at pretty amazing prices. He told me he doesn’t raise the price on items even if he’s had them awhile.

4 Likes

I was just scrolling through stuff online, and stumbled on this.1940s Turquoise and Coral Ring – Garland's I didn’t take any pictures of the backside of mine, but looks bout exactly the same.

Considering I bought mine at Ogg’s Hogan for 60 bucks, I think I did pretty well :laughing:

2 Likes

Ogg’s Hogan is CLOSING! I just returned from a week in Prescott, and spoke with Jeff myself. He started the sale this past weekend and it will continue through December. His announcement states that they will officially close in December, but he told me he might try to stay there through March depending on inventory. This is sad news as Jeff is a wealth of information on anything Native American in the area. There is still lots of inventory left and more that he was pulling out. Lots of wheeling and dealing going on!

2 Likes

Oh no, no, NO!! I was afraid that was going to happen before too long, he’s not super young anymore. I was just hoping there was someone else that could take over. Doggone it, I don’t think I will be able to get out there in time. We will truly be missing a treasure when that closes.

So many of my favorite places are closing. Fortunately I found a few more, but it’s sad :cry:. And I really don’t want to buy much online, I prefer to buy in person. I wish I had been able to buy more when I was there. But a budget is a budget.

I imagine even with a “sale” at todays prices he will likely have a huge amount left over judging from just what I see in store photos. You may need to mortgage your home @Ziacat in case he decides on an auction.

3 Likes

I don’t think hubby would allow me to do that…not that I wouldn’t be tempted :laughing:

I don’t know that he will have a lot left over, his prices were always reasonable, and he and his store are pretty well known and respected. I have a feeling there a lot of people that will be trying to get there. If I didn’t have so many family mini crises going on I’d be tempted to hop on a cheap flight from Allegiant and go. I could always use the excuse that I’m visiting my best friend in Phoenix :laughing:

I’m adding this picture of a pictorial rug we got there years ago. I had always wanted one, but they were a bit out of my price range, and then I found this one there. I will always treasure it, and the memories I’ve had from time at Ogg’s. It was always (is for awhile anyway) a wonderful experience.

I hung it next to the poster, cuz I just felt like they belong together.

2 Likes

Wonder how much this will go for…

2 Likes

This is a real shame, in part for the social hub it was for Jeff and his buds, setting aside our retail fandom. I enjoyed how the guys would hang out in the back with Jeff. I guess most people know that Jock Favour is his cousin and that Jesse Robbins is part of that crew.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that, so interesting! I was always impressed with not just how knowledgeable he was, but with how gracious he was with his customers. While we wandered around, he would tell us about everything. He wasn’t in the last time we were there, and I missed chatting with him. My husband remembers that when I bought the frog cuff, Jeff chuckled to himself and said something like, “I could melt this and get more just for the silver, but I just can’t do it.” And I remember when I bought it, I had been a bit hesitant since it was the first shop we were in on our week long trip. He told me if I changed my mind I could bring it in, and he’d buy it back. He probably knew once I wore it, I wouldn’t change my mind :laughing:

I’m really glad when we were last out west in '21 we made the effort to get to Toadlena Trading Post, since so many wonderful places have closed. I don’t like getting older.

3 Likes

Oh no! I’m so sad to hear Ogg’s is closing. I don’t think I’ll make it back :cry:.

Jeff is part of a generation of traders that there aren’t many left of. He has so much knowledge, and personally knew many of the old traders and artists that aren’t around anymore. I loved going in there and soaking up his knowledge and stories as much as I loved loosing myself in the merchandise for hours. It will definitely be a loss to our collecting community.

2 Likes