Antique mall ring

@CyanideRose18
Maybe you can research a way to re-oil it, to improve the look.
Since most emeralds are oiled, you take that chance if you expose them to any kind of soap or detergent.
I have some emeralds and I have only cleaned them with warm water and a toothbrush.
I purchased two of my emeralds from my Columbian hairdresser. They have certificates from the Coscuez mine, one of the three Muzo mines.

I’m glad you are wearing that jadeite ring…the color is amazing!

1 Like

They sound beautiful :grin: My SIL is Colombian, I may have to get her to find me a nice ring when she vacations there with the kids this year. I have a lot of loose stones but this is the only set stone I think I have. It was headed for the melter because some of the double prongs were bent but I fixed them when I got it home. I will definitely look up ways to re-oil it. I usually research before I soak them but they were so filthy :laughing: I found a knife edge setting at the vintage place next to me for $200. I’m gonna take one of my duchess cuts there Tuesday and see if it fits. Settings are so expensive. If you ever set yours I’d love to see it :smile:

@CyanideRose18
Oooh! Duchess cut! That’s a cool and unusual shape! Is it a diamond or emerald?
You should totally get your SIL to pick up some emeralds for you! Straight from the source!

Here are my emeralds. The emerald cut ring and pendant are the two Muzo stones.
The studs and round cut ring belonged to my late Mother-in-law, so I have no idea of origin.

Emeralds are so hard to photograph! I couldn’t get the true color. They are so much more beautiful in real life. All of them are glowy and much prettier than the photo shows.

Here is a better shot of the pendant showing the color a bit better, but still not quite right!. The Muzo stones are grassy green with a tiny hint of blue

1 Like

Beautiful emerald pieces Stracci. I love the pendant the most and next would be the earrings and finally the round emerald ring. What a wonderful collection you have there. I know what you mean about the color in pictures. It’s nothing like that gorgeous green in person :grinning:

The duchess cuts are diamonds but I bet they have them in different gemstones. I kinda remember seeing one in ruby. Here are the three I have. I want to put the bigger one in the setting at the shop and make a band out of the smaller duchess side stones. This ring is ok but kinda too bulky for me as it is now.

1 Like

They are all beautiful! I love them!!!
I really NEED some fancy cut diamonds. All of mine are round, mostly Old European cuts. But I have one marquise!
I’d love to have a big emerald cut, too!

1 Like

Thanks Stracci, I was obsessed with duchess cut for a long time but my fave are transitional cut, then OEC and OMC. I have a little emerald cut that I had set with warmer OMCs. I’m not into really big stones, but a little bigger OEC is on my wish list. Maybe a carat and quarter as long as it’s brighter and very little inclusions. Tough find though. I may get lucky thrifting. I found a diamond necklace in a vintage handbag from the thrift store :grin:

1 Like

My biggest diamond is 1.23 OEC. The rest are all smaller. I just can’t afford the bigger ones!
I also have a .76 transitional, and a .40 OMC.
Old cuts rock!

Shown below is a recent pawn shop buy, a bezel set OEC.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of dutchess cut! It’s very unusual, I’ve never seen anything like that. And those emeralds just glow. I’m still on the lookout for a good one of those.

Y’all have really had some good luck thrifting. I always look at the jewelry counters at the thrift shop but they generally know what they have and not a lot of deals to be had. I keep looking, though!

My son and I went pawn shopping this weekend and I came across a few lucky finds. They let these NA earrings go for $10 because they thought they were damaged, but they shined up just fine. The collar necklace was sold to me for the scrap value of $38 since it’s got a little bit of damage on the stone, but it’s minimal and the stone is tight in the setting; thankful you cannot see it.

2 Likes

@Xtina
Pretty! They both look 1980s-90s
The necklace is really nice!

2 Likes

I love this ring too. I would have snatched that one up too. I’m drawn to bezel settings for some reason. Gorgeous ring :grin:

1 Like

Great finds Xtina :grinning: Both pieces are nice but I really like the necklace. Thrifting is so addictive :laughing:

The duchess cut was sold in the 90’s. It was one in a collection called Royal cuts that were sold Best Jewelry and another store that I can’t remember carried that line. I don’t think they were popular but I love all the cuts in that line :grin:

3 Likes