Any ideas on this concho belt

I bought this about 6 months ago. Only markings is an affixed sterling block on the buckle.Conchos are about 2.5 by 1.75 inches. 1 inch belt and copper belt guides. Rather small as is 26-28 inches. 4 extra inches before 1st hole. Conchos weigh 14-15 grams each Any idea on value? Been tested for silver content already

!

3 Likes

I get the feeling it is manufactured, machined made. Looking at the back it appears to be pressed into the design creating the stamped border.

2 Likes

^Agree. The reverse definitely stood out as improbable for handwork.

1 Like

Other than the old belts and maybe the very expensive belts, aren’t most concho belts made using a press? I have some old Tucker tool concho one piece & two piece die sets that are used with a hammer, but definitely can be used with a press - which are essentially the same thing. I can understand the bias of using pre-made stamped out blanks, but I don’t really understand the stigma of the maker using a press. It’s just another jewelry shop tool.

1 Like

Not Jason obviously, but my thought is, what you may call stigma equates to info that matters to some on what they choose to add to a collection. For at least some people, aesthetics and history make up part of the decision process in evaluating among things in the marketplace. This can include means of manufacture.

5 Likes

The majority of the concho belts we see, both expensive and less expensive, are made using the hammer with the stamp. Stamps like those tucker tools you are referring to that have the male/female part are hammered. With the history of Navajo jewelry and the use of manufacturing settings, it has always been important to be handmade (the swinging of a hammer).

5 Likes