Anybody recall the "sunrise" stamp(on closures) discussion?

did it get settled? who made 'em?
thanks

1 Like

On the end cones???

1 Like

yes! give your memory a treat-lol

both my “liquid silver” items use em & I spotted something online a while back that used it as a selling point.

Common stamp mark on commercially made cones. There are very few artists who hand make liquid silver, drawing it out and cutting by hand which is very time and labor intensive. The technique was invented by the Rosetta family. 99.8% of the liquid silver on the market is machine made and wouldn’t be hallmarked by an artist.

1 Like

Revisiting old discussion for those of us who missed it the first time, as I did.
This morning I bought a Liquid silver necklace inlay necklace with an inlay pendant. The metal is stamped sterling, the cones are marked… you guessed it with sun mark. I paid $24, which is a good piece even as I learn here it is not NA.
There is one on ebay today being sold as NA for a lot more. So again,you know the mantra “know your seller”.
I bought mine at an Estate sale. Emotions can run high as the family are selling Mom/Grandma’s things.
The ebay listing today was “QT QUOC Navajo LIQUID STERLING SILVER Concho Multi Strand Necklace Multi Inlay”.
Here is mine and they look the same.
![100_0652|375x500]
(upload://fH9iz6BCNOa2nhOWU

MubfI0ybZ5.jpeg)
One questions, would NA ever use screw type closures or Clasp
closures?
BTW in another post someone said they used a wide bale with liquid silver necklace to add a pendant. That does work well. Caution on NOT using a keavy pendant.

@hisweetpotato Here’s a thread that may be of interest. Manufactured goods, Vietnamese-owned business. Also, as @OrbitOrange notes, very little of “liquid silver” has anything to do with Native production, and certainly not at the low end, despite claims in the resale environment.

Says @mmrogers:
" Quoc is a jewelry manufacturer in Albuquerque. Quoc is originally from Vietnam, and when I knew him all of the employees I met in his shop were Vietnamese, or SE Asian living in Albuquerque. Used to see Quoc regularly at trade shows, and we were on cordial terms. It’s been many, many years since I visited his workshop, and things may have changed over the years. It appears he is still in business [snip]

2 Likes

Came here to say this, but @chicfarmer beat me to it. QT, or Quac Turquoise, is Southwest style manufactured jewelry, an Asian owned company. Just because something is silver and southwestern looking doesn’t mean that it’s Native handmade, but it does just about guarantee someone on eBay will try to sell it as such.

Re: your other question, it would be very uncommon for NA artists to use either screw closures or round clasps. I don’t like to make categoric “never” statements. Sometimes you will come across a good older NA piece that somebody had restrung in a nontraditional way. Also, sometimes you may come across NA “assembled” type jewelry, which is not really fully handmade but may be more likely to use such clasps.

1 Like

Thanks. I always look for the “figure 8” on the closure. Then I wondered if I was being too narrow in scope and different NA might use different closures. That’s why I knew the piece I bought today was not NA.
I believe the grand daughters who were sellig the necklace really thought it was.