Anyone familiar with REXX Hallmark?

A recently obtained beauty of a Cluster Cuff (my weakness!) Does anyone recognize this etched REXX Hallmark? Guesses on age? I’m pretty much in love.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

I think it’s a traders code? I have that marked on a few pieces that appear older/vintage.

8 Likes

What a beautiful old cuff. I can see why you are in love with it. My theory on the REXX inscription is that it is an identifying mark for an owner rather than a makers mark. I have a couple of items that I took an electric pencil to back in the 70’s. Theft was a problem, I know folks who inscribed their SS#'s, DL#'s, Names and other identfying marks. Well, that’s one theory anyway, I could very well be wrong. I do agree with @TaraFawn75 that it could be a traders code as well though.

4 Likes

@TaraFawn75 I was wondering that! And you say you have that same mark also on a few pieces? That would make sense to me. I recently broke down and got a copy of Hougart’s 5th edition, but couldn’t find anything there - still getting familiar with that resource. @Bob1953 I’m hearing that too - though if TaraFawn76 has other pieces with the same mark, that might be a tip. Would you guess 70’s? I think that would be my guess. I’ve been wanting a cuff like this one for so long and am just over the moon with it. :heart_eyes: Thank You!

5 Likes

Agree with @TaraFawn75; it’s a trader’s code. Traders used to mark their pieces with the price they paid so they knew what they could sell it for at profit. The letters stood in for numbers so they could read it as a price. Very common to see etched on pieces from the 70’s or so.

7 Likes

@OrbitOrange I read a little bit about that in Hougart’s - I think I’ll go back and examine that a bit more! :+1:

3 Likes

REXX has come up in another post which I linked to. It’s towards the end.Navajo or Zuni

So I agree with @TaraFawn75 and @OrbitOrange .

5 Likes

Oh yeah I forgot it’s on that necklace too! :woozy_face:

4 Likes

& Jason answered that REXX is code for $32.

Good memory @Ziacat!

4 Likes

What a DEAL😁

I remember strange things, not necessarily the things I need to remember…

4 Likes

I couldn’t find my phone earlier, thought to myself “I’ll call it!” As I’m holding MY phone in hand ready to call myself :tired_face:

6 Likes

Aaaand… I literally laughed out loud. Kind of like when I can’t find my glasses and they’re on my head?

4 Likes

It’s gorgeous, no matter what mark is or isn’t on it! :grin:

4 Likes

Dang - SERIOUSLY impressed with your memory @Ziacat. 32 bucks, eh? I WISH that’s what I paid, lol!!
You guys here are AMAZING! :smiley: @TaraFawn75 I LOVE that necklace!! Gorgeous old turquoise. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes