Apache Mountain Spirit Dancer Necklace by Edith & Leonard Lonjose

Here is another one I’m excited about. It’s from member @Christibo aka Estimated Profit on Etsy. I don’t expect to have possession of it until next week. It’s a pendant by Leonard & Edith Lonjose. I’m borrowing a few of Chris’ pics until I can take some of my own. It weighs 45 g. with the chain. I was just excited and had to show someone, even though it’s the middle of the night.

The Inlay

The Pendant Length

The Pendant Width

The Hallmark

The Next Three are from Toshio Sei’s Book “Kachinas and Ceremonial Dancers in Zuni Jewelry”

This is from Gregory Schaaf’s book “American Indian Jewelry II: A-L”

This is from Gordon Levy’s book “Who’s Who in Zuni Jewelry”

11 Likes

The more I look, the more differences I find. Like the shape of the heads and the angle of the protrusions on the head wear. I think they are just latter aesthetic changes. All of them have the raised and carved pants. Some with double tassels at the bottom of the pant legs, some with and some without toe tassels. A couple of the dangles are bent. All in all I think it’s a good addition to the collection.

2 Likes

It’s really intricate and beautiful! Thanks also for your second post on the raised pants. I am learning “to see” in this forum. Are you planning to wear this necklace? Was this a special occasion piece? Please post a modeling shot🙂

1 Like

Lol. Well I may do that just for laughs…Snow White with a 5 O’clock shadow and a cigar!
No, not a special occasion. I’d been watching this and two other pieces and the seller (Christibo) had recently lowered the prices and I was afraid someone else would buy them first so I bit the bullet so to speak.

This is a link to a post of the best of the three pieces, a storyteller concho belt by Lloyd Becenti. I haven’t even started obsessing over it yet :nerd_face: Still waiting for all three to arrive!!

1 Like