Appraisal squash blossom necklace

What is the website Steve? I can’t read it, and I would dearly love to read their description. Also, can you work your magic and show us the two necklaces side by side so we can compare. The one you found looks heavier and more intricate. Thanks

Jimmy Long is only mentioned in the 5th edition

source for squash above:

https://savvycollector.com/products/3641-12-blossom-necklace-by-jimmie-long

1 Like

Thank you that’s who I asked earlier. Jimmy Long was his mother’s brother. He has a large collection, and occasionally sells one or two. He was the one that confirmed that it was a Jimmy Long squash blossom.

1 Like

Amazing job as always! Thank you now I think it’s easier to compare the similarities and differences.

@Brigid is the wire just crossed in the closeup picture of the back? I can’t tell if it’s twisted or if it broke and got fastened back together. I think it was the 4th picture from the top?

What a lot of great information!

1 Like

Persian turquoise was used in many high end pieces back in the day as quite a bit of it was “clean” without perceived imperfections, and was used a lot in gold and platinum settings by Tiffany’s and other high end jewelers - we had a few customers at Zell Bros that collected lovely pieces.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s beautiful! I was actually watching a series of videos last night Southern California Gem Society, and the Persian used in the high-end golden diamond jewelry was discussed in part of that lecture. It’s beautiful, but my personal preference is matrix and Native American silver jewelry. That’s also better on my budget. Lol.

5 Likes

This is really interesting to see!
I would like to learn how my necklace was made, I dont know its age of course but Mr. Long, who made it, passed away in 1973 so its older than that. I imagine the beads and blossoms are hand- crafted, how else could they be made? Where should I look to learn how this work was done?

1 Like

" Making Silver Hammered Beads"

https://youtu.be/WEkt_p3x68g?si=nYvshaIzznnzK6aS

5 Likes

That is an excellent way to answer. You tube offers such an array of answers to almost any question you might have.

3 Likes

this book is loaded with tips but watching a video is almost like looking over the smiths shoulder

5 Likes