Appraisal squash blossom necklace

I was given this, and I dont know anything about it, can you help?

Thank you for looking!

3 Likes

BD-564 could be anything from an old pawn ticket number to a dealers price code so not much help there.

I regrouped your photos so only 2 need to be opened for others

2 Likes

So glad you reposted where it will get more attention. I’m still thinking is has the look of a Jimmy Long piece. I believe that a lot of his work was unsigned.

Thank you very much Steve

1 Like

Is it possible to know where this turquoise comes from?

1 Like

It is not possible to know for sure without actual provenance, but we can make educated guesses. Is there any pyrite in any of the stones? I think I see a bit in one, but not sure. Kingman and Morenci are known to have pyrite, however I believe turquoise from other mines can occasionally also have it.

2 Likes

OK, I have some info. I screenshot your photos and sent them to Jimmy Long‘s nephew. It took a while for him to get on messenger, but he just confirmed that it is one of his uncle Jimmy’s squashes. I tried to get a value, but didn’t get a response on that. He did tell me that he(Jimmy) used predominantly American Turquoise, but was also known to use Persian. And then I got to see a couple that he owns himself. He has 11 in his collection. So now you know you have an unsigned Jimmy Long squash blossom. I hope that helps.

6 Likes

I thought about guessing Persian on the turquoise, but I’m not as familiar with that. I just remember Jason was saying it’s often domed in shape. Good job on getting info @Islandmomma!!

1 Like

Thanks. And yes a lot of Persian cabs are domed. I have a couple pieces.

2 Likes

Im absolutely amazed, and so grateful to you for doing this research! Wow! I love the piece, knowing who the artist was adds to the depth of its beauty. I will sell it to someone who is drawn to it, as I am at a time in life where I no longer collect. If anyone has a sense of its value, I would like to know that

2 Likes

I dont think I even knew there was Persian turquoise!

2 Likes

I tried to get that answer for you, but I did not get a reply. I can find nothing like it online. The only one I found was way more intricate and that was at Hoel’s and it was sold. I do know a person that has a couple of his pieces also but I don’t know if she’s in the market to buy more. I can let her know there’s one available but I don’t have any idea on price.

1 Like

I checked with the other person and she is not in buying mode at the moment.

1 Like

I sent you a message.

2 Likes

Islandmomma is always in buying mode! :+1 :joy::

1 Like

You and I have been hanging out in the same places way too long! I love being in buying mode, but these medical bills are definitely crimping my style!
I was actually letting Bridget know that the person I’m friends with on Facebook that collects Jimmy Long is not currently buying any more for her. collection. I would love to have it, but I don’t think my finances will allow it.

2 Likes

Yes, it sucks getting old. I hear you on the medical bills. I also am having to watch what I am buying right now. I splurged on a piece a week ago that I could not pass up. I’ll know in a day or two if it was worth it. My wife saw me looking at a picture of it before it came up for bidding and said it was beautiful, but don’t spend any money on jewelry right now. We will see if I am in the doghouse

2 Likes

Asking forgiveness is better than missing a piece like that! With that new cuff, you just got her, she should survive. If you were watching it that hard, I know it was something special

This Navajo jeweler (deceased 1974) actively created jewelry pre-1940. Jimmie Long was the husband of Alice Long, the father of Phillip Long.

2 Likes

You’re a total wizard! You can find more stuff on the Internet than any other person on here I think. I searched two different times and didn’t come up with that one.

2 Likes