Are there fake Pueblo Depression Necklaces out there?

I’m looking to buy a Pueblo Depression-era Thunderbird and Tab necklace. I know these were made cheaply, with plastic taken from battery casings, etc and since not many survived (as they were seen as cheap souvenirs) they now fetch a pretty penny. I’m wondering if I need to worry about buying a counterfeit - has anyone seen any out there? How can I tell the difference? Thanks!

3 Likes

I have one that was given to me by a friend, It was her great grandmothers (she is a young person in her early 20s so I’m not sure how old her great grandmother is/was)

4 Likes

I am sure it is possible to find a remake. Use due diligence by asking lots of questions and comparing with other pieces…

2 Likes

And the other thing is, the making of these necklaces continued for decades post-Depression. Like into the 1950s and probably later. So it wouldn’t be a matter of being inauthentic items but later in era, which should affect the value and collectibility. And a seller might not even know that, so you could fall prey to a bad description.
One other comment: not all the materials were repurposed plastic. There’s also real turquoise (crushed or bits) and sometimes real shell or other material.

@TaraFawn75, very lovely example!

4 Likes

There are some fakes being made in Asia. There are also a few Native artists inthe US that are making them. I would say educate yourself as much as possible about them and buy from a reputable source.

1 Like