Are these rings old? Looking for help identifying age

This is my first post so please forgive me if I’m doing it wrong.

I have these two rings that I believe are older.
I’m wondering what you all think about these in particular, but also what clues you look for when identifying older pieces. It seems online that prices vary widely based on multiple factors one of which being that age of a piece.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Not an expert, but i always think of that split shank with the raindrops on each of the splits, right where they join the face of the piece, as an older style. There are lots of factors to consider, i know, including the bezels and whether they are available at supply shops or appear hand made. In particular i think the smooth bezels are more recent design feature? and bezels that look hand cut or have irregular teeth tend to be older? IDK. Beautiful rings, great green stones. I’m sure others with more knowledge than me can chime in.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Age can be very difficult to determine. When I look at these rings I don’t think older than the 1980s.

2 Likes

i appreciate your response. i’m curious to know what makes you say 80s. i’m always trying to learn what clues to look for in identifying the age of my pieces.

1 Like

thank you so much for the info. i think the turquoise in the oval ring had me thinking it was older but i’m still learning.

We’re all learning, all the time! I would have said likely 70s, but I trust Jason’s expertise. I wasn’t collection much jewelry in the 80s, so he would have a better idea than me what was the style then.

1 Like