Augustine Lovato 3 Strand Heishi Necklace with Jacklas

I purchased this

from Augustine’s daughter along with several others. While researching him I discovered that he was born in 1917, worked for Maisel’s in the ‘30’s then another company in the ‘50’s. When Maisel’s went out of business in 1971 he purchased a large stockpile of turquoise; specifically Bisbee, Morenci and #8. On one of the tab necklaces you can actually see Bisbee tabs.
This one looks like it may be made of Bisbee. I know there is no way to know for sure without provenance but I would be interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks

This last picture is the tab necklace with Bisbee and others.

14 Likes

No matter what kind of turquoise it is gorgeous. Now my wife saw this and said "I would wear that ". Darn it

2 Likes

Well, thank you very much. Your wife obviously has exquisite taste. Did she see the tab necklace or just the heishi? She may need two! :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Oh god, don’t let her see the tab necklace
She costs me too much already :joy:

5 Likes

Hey now! Does she say the same about you :rofl:? My husband says the 2 most important words for a marriage are, “Yes dear”

3 Likes

I don’t know if he does the yes dear part but I do know that she’s got a birthday coming up soon and there won’t be any issues afterwards. She’s going to be a happy camper! I actually think he spoils her a little but I get the impression that she’s worth it!

2 Likes

I’m sorry Islandmomma, I can’t help you regarding the Bisbee or not issue. I’ve really only ever seen it much in single stones. Whatever, it’s beautiful.

2 Likes

Girl, you don’t mess around. I just love your bold approach to our beloved turquoise jewelry. Can’t help with ID’ing on the tab necklace, just admiring. :clap:

2 Likes

It’s fabulous!!!,:star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

@Islandmomma Wow!! These two necklaces are magnificent. I can’t stop looking at the heishi necklace - it’s perfection. I hope you enjoy wearing these very special turquoise necklaces.

1 Like

I love them both. My fav is the tab necklace.

2 Likes

I feel like this one (the three strand) could maaaaybe be Bisbee, though I generally assume that’s too good to be true. Really pretty turquoise regardless. And so big! Just for fun, it would be nice to see some closer pictures of the beads in natural light, though I still wouldn’t be able to ID the turquoise with any confidence.

1 Like

I got some pictures of the heishi necklace and then got the tab necklace out too and took a few more pictures. A video would probable have been easier but I didn’t know if I could post that. Since this has been limiting me to 5 pictures I will try to get the heishi first and then do the tab necklace separately.

4 Likes

These are the pictures of the tab necklace. I’m pretty certain that it contains Bisbee, Morenci, #8 and more. Let’s see what pictures I can find.

5 Likes

That’s really beautiful, Islandmomma.

1 Like

Thank you. I have four others by him, and I have enjoyed all of them except the one I haven’t worn yet. Lol. He’s wasn’t a big stickler for closures. I think one has a wrap, and one has a hook and eye But it seems the others are just tied together. He was born in 1917, and believed in using Turquoise. None of these little dainty pieces that you see nowadays.

3 Likes