Bear claw necklace

Hello !
I have recently found this beautiful piece but there is no marks on it at all can anyone help me identify it if possible and does it mean if there is no marks is no good ? What do you think of this necklace ?does it look authentic?

2 Likes

This necklace is a little confusing. Most times when we see these bear claws and silver leaf work you go to the 70s-80s. Then we associate that timeframe with hallmarks not being as used as much as today, so it is ok. However, this necklace looks new or restrung because of those plated beads. Do you know anything about the age?

The beads are silver not plated .

Nice, being seamless it still tells us that it is newer. Do you know if it has been restrung, or any history of the piece?

Nothing bought it from antique market . Thats all j k ow thats why im asking if anyone is more familiar , i bought it in London. , UK

i hate to say it, but this is giving me asian/phillippine import vibes. something about the silver embellishments - the ball-tipped wire swirls and coils, the big sawtooth bezel, the pre-stamped looking flower/leaf components - IDK. combined with the machine made beads… The turquoise looks legit, and it’s got a big strong wearable look to it, but IDK if it’s native made.

1 Like

too “floral” for my taste

if you posted a known Peruvian piece to a Native American art group, that would not be surprising that the post was removed. Most NA groups are pretty specific about “American” meaning USA native peoples, not central our south American art or indigenous artists.

1 Like

Every forum has its rules. Trouble elsewhere online is hard, if not impossible, to interpret.

I will respond to the general comments made about quality and hallmarking. Hallmarking of NA material is a relatively late development in NA jewelry production, and the earliest jewelry–most valuable, rarest, and also aesthetically among the best–did not have hallmarks or stamping of metal content. The pride was (and is) in the making and wearing, and hallmarking is really about market conditions coming into play. By “metal purity” if you mean the .925 stamp, that’s far more likely Mexican than NA. There are boatloads of hallmarked items, including imports masquerading as authentic, of varying quality.

Also, gold is a rarity in SW Native jewelry. Not unheard of but not typical. So you have to know what the material really is, origin wise.

3 Likes

Hi I’m in the UK - can I ask where in London you bought it? That might give a clue as to whether it’s genuine NA or an Asian import xx

Covent garden’s antique market

Well that’s pretty reputable I’ve bought stuff from Covent Garden before - tough one xx

That’s an amazing looking piece of work. I didn’t realize I was writing a post in your comment section. I apologize for that and will make sure I know where I’m at next time.
But this is very nice, I don’t see very many people post bear claw necklaces. I think the floral elements are a perfect blend for the masculinity the multiple bear claws represent.
I hope you were able to find info about this piece and it’s maker somewhere. Have you tried any FB groups?
May I share this in one of my groups?

(And as for my post, I had no clue where it was from when posted. I later had someone tell me the images were Nazca lines and I located a Peruvian artist who made a very similar piece and sent her a message to which I’ve still not received a response.)

1 Like

Thanks for your response yes feel free to show it in this groups :slight_smile: let me know if someone got some info please