Bell Trading Post -3 pronged ring shank help (?.?)

My Question is on the /closeness of my ring shank prong placement,… photos show shanks, bezel cups and stones
( for perspective’s sake). I can’t seem to find another trading post ring with a split shank like this one on the right, all smooshed together. *this makes a size 5 1/2 fit like a 6 for some reason.
Is this prong placement normal? or sign of a copycat? Happy weekend all.

(upload://rajNRzG7EwFWzf4hQetvyP5cdVr.jpeg)

1 Like

Hi Q-tea, This may help. If a person is making rings in a production fashion like an artist that wants to make ten rings a day he would do like me and take a day and make up a box of ring shanks in three sizes-small, medium and large. It’s not feasible to make up shanks in every size. The sizing is done by closing the gap and welding that in place. if I am putting rings on display such as trade stores I may not be concerned with ring sizes in specific sizes or half sizes because a specific size limits who will buy it. But if I make small medium and large people will find a finger for it :slight_smile: This is better for the souvenir trade.
The shanks are made by cutting your material, flattening the ends and splitting them. here is a photo.

The size difference may come down to the tools to measure the size. For example if the ring size is determined on a grooved mandrel and the flat back of the ring is placed over the groove, it will register 1/2 size larger than if you measure with the flat over the curved surface. In a ring without a flat area a 6 is a six. Another consideration is the ring height as far as size feel goes. Hope this helps, Kyle

2 Likes

“I can’t seem to find another trading post ring with a split shank like this one on the right, all smooshed together. *this makes a size 5 1/2 fit like a 6 for some reason.
Is this prong placement normal? or sign of a copycat? Happy weekend all.”

Depends on who’s making the ring Q-tea. I’ve seen many rings made both ways. Shank placement is completely up to the silversmith, and represents a stylistic or technical preference, rather than anything else. Both rings look Navajo, and are definitely handmade.

Size for a ring like this should be measured on a slotted, rather than round mandrel for size accuracy.

3 Likes

Many Thanks @Greatrocks123 Kyle, this makes perfect sense, seeing these in different phases production helps me greatly …I have the mandrel shown…
and many thanks to you @mmrogers for your explanation… After searching online I found a few similar split shanks soldered very close together. I feel better knowing they are normal and now understand; thanks to both of your in depth explanations, the many variances in creating such beauties. :raised_hands: :smiley:

3 Likes