Bell Trading Post Copper & Turquoise Bracelet

Here is a bracelet I just picked up. I never see items in semi precious metals so I wonder if most people shun jewelry if not made in silver or gold. I think it’s a super piece with some age and history.

8 Likes

Bell Trading Post is renowned for its distinctive solid copper jewelry, particularly from their Corinthian line. Let me share some insights about this fascinating jewelry:

1. Origins and Symbolism:
  • Bell Trading Post was a company that specialized in creating and selling southwestern-style jewelry. They operated at various tourist stops across the United States.
  • The Corinthian line was introduced in the 1950s and featured a rustic and organic aesthetic.
  • The jewelry often combined solid copper with turquoise, creating a beautiful contrast between the bright blue stones and the patinated copper.
  1. Designs and Pieces:
  • Cuff Bracelets: The Corinthian line included cuff bracelets with textured copper surfaces. Some featured turquoise cabochons set in a random pattern.
  • Necklaces: Circular pendants bezel-set with bright blue turquoise cabochons were popular in this line.
  • Other Jewelry: Bell Trading Post also produced rings, medallion necklaces, and other accessories in solid copper.
  1. Signature Markings:
  1. Examples of Bell Trading Post Solid Copper Jewelry:
  • Vintage Bell Trading Post Copper Cuff Bracelet: These cuff bracelets showcase the Southwestern flair, often featuring Native American motifs like Knifewing Kachina designs.
  • Vintage Bell Trading Post Copper Turquoise Necklace: A bold and rustic necklace with a Brutalist style, combining copper and turquoise.
  • Solid Copper Bear Claw Design Cuff Bracelet: Another unique piece from the Corinthian line, perfect for smaller wrists.
  • Wide Copper-Colored Cuff: Reflecting the Route 66 era, this cuff is a piece of tourist jewelry with a historical touch.

Remember, Bell Trading Post’s jewelry captures the essence of the American Southwest, blending craftsmanship, symbolism, and natural materials.

6 Likes

Thanks for the history @Steve .

3 Likes

I think your cuff is cool, @StevesTrail. And thanks for the info, @Steve. I prefer silver with native jewelry, but I have a copper cuff with some turquoise made by a Cherokee artist, and a heavy narrow silver and copper cuff by Navajo artist Wylie Secatero. I also have a few other copper pieces. It’s gold that I don’t wear; but that’s just me.

4 Likes

I love the copper and turquoise. It brings Michigan float copper to mind.

2 Likes

Handsome and a bit moderne ! Love it

1 Like

I like the combo of turquoise and copper better than silver. Especially when paired with turquoise that has a copper colored matrix.
Thanks for sharing some Bell history.

2 Likes

I love the look of copper and turquoise. I have some somewhere. I think copper as a metal for jewelry is underused! I have always used it to make pieces.

2 Likes