Belt Buckle Collection

Navajo buckles, circa 1920s to 1970s.

7 Likes

gorgeous collection. I would guess the bottom center is RB Leekeya. Any idea of the others?

1 Like

Thank you! Bottom buckle has an unidentified shop mark, but like you said, clearly in the Leekeya style. Top buckle is by Al Joe, 1960s. All others are unmarked.

1 Like

Yes, great collection. The bottom right would be my favorite.

1 Like

Thanks Jason. You must like the old stuff. That one is from the 20s according to Robert Bauver.

1 Like

My favorite is the top left. However, I wouldn’t be adverse to owning any of them. You have a nice collection!

2 Likes

Thanks! Top left was my mother’s buckle and top middle was my father’s buckle. Mom and Dad wore these buckles for 50 years starting in the late 60s/early 70s. Needless to say, they are both very special to me. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Always on the lookout for good sandcast buckles with a design that hasn’t been copied over and over. This one fits the bill.

Navajo, circa 1950s-1960s. 3 1/2" x 2 3/4". 102 grams. Buckle’s finish has been left with a rough texture showcasing the sandcast process allowing it to take on an outstanding patina. The main theme is a waterbug motif as seen in the 1920s Navajo rug below. Morenci turquoise set in plain bezel. I paired this buckle with a vintage Ralph Lauren belt.

4 Likes

Gorgeous collection. I’m partial to the concho that Jason likes as well as the last one that you posted separately. It’s so cool that the similar design is repeated in the rug!

2 Likes

Thanks Orbit! The old ones do have a great look to them.

TAH, this belt buckle made me think of you

https://www.fourwindsgallery.com/product/horace-lule-silver-sandcast-belt-buckle-terminating-with-natural-turquoise-stones/

2 Likes

Thanks Orbit. That buckle is amazing. I can’t imagine carving that design into a stone. I’d be lucky to get the center post straight. :grinning:

1 Like