Belt buckle construction?

I’m wondering how this belt buckle was made. On the back, you can see repoussé work for some of the design features on the front, but no repoussé behind the three raised designs on each side of the center opening. Was it cast somehow? Any other thoughts or opinions on age, authenticity, etc. are welcomed. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi TAH. The buckle is hand fabricated (hand made) rather than Sand Cast. The outer raised elements are 1/2 round wire shaped and soldered on to define the buckle edges. The center raised rectangular element also looks like 1/2 round or a layer of thinly cut sheet, soldered on and stamped. The fluted elements on either side (R/L) of the center rectangle are chased repousse sections soldered on and stamped around the edges, the outer ketoh repousse elements are repousse fashioned in to the main buckle body. This piece appears to be sterling, and if it is at 116 grams the seller is currently offering it below the cost of the base materials. The current bid of $53 is about what 116 grams of dirty sterling scrap would bring.

4 Likes

Thanks Michael! Interesting, a lot going on there. So, is this buckle crudely made or does this type of construction take experienced skill? Any thoughts on age - all things considered.

2 Likes

It’s not particularly sophisticated, but there’s a lot of work involved. I’d characterize this as an experimental piece.

3 Likes

I’d guess 70’s or 80’s. Non native experimenting with native techniques.

4 Likes

I knew it wasn’t typical Navajo work or if it was even native. As always, your knowledge is much appreciated. Thank you!

2 Likes