Big Turqoise pieces

A friend recently acquired a property that had a small workshop on it. The shop was stocked full of various types of machines and tools used in crafting and repairing jewelry. These pieces of are just a few out of the thirty or so e found inside. Trying to verify the authenticity/possible mine where they would have come from. Any help is appreciated.

Hi Evildoer, My guess is dyed magnesite or howlite. Not turquoise. Here are some examples sold as howlite:

Hope this helps, Kyle

2 Likes

I was thinking the same. Is there any way to scratch or break one? If dyed Howlite/Mangesite, the centers will be white or cream colored.
Another way to possibly tell is to soak a piece in acetone or acetone based fingernail polish remover. The coloring will come off.

Thanks Kyle!! Im still cutting my teeth in this area and appreciate the help. I suspect you are correct but will definitely try both methods suggested.

Thanks fernwood. I appreciate the help and will for sure do further research using methods suggested by you and kyle. I learn something new everytime im on here.

2 Likes