Blue Diamond pin

Hope everyone is relaxing and recovering from Christmas!! This is a pin stated to be Blue Diamond turquoise when I purchased it ~30 years ago from a Native American shop in Folsom CA. The hallmark is one I couldn’t find years ago, and I’m thinking not Native American. I’m wondering if anyone has blue diamond turquoise, I’ve not seem much of it; and any thoughts on the hallmark would be appreciated.

7 Likes

Wonderful Modernist style pin but I’m no good at turquoise ID. The signature is in the same form as Italian sculptor Silverio Montaguti.

IMG_0216

Reminds me of the Halley’s Comet pins.

3 Likes

Love this pin!!

Only thing I have that may be Blue Diamond is this.

I don’t really know for sure, but I posted it on here, and Jason thought because the ticket says Nevada, and that it’s so dark (it’s a Tobe Turpen ticket), it could be Blue Diamond. But it looks so different from yours, that I don’t believe that’s any help :weary:

3 Likes

Ha! I’m just curious about other blue diamond pieces. We all know the questionable mine attributions and the varibility of product that can come from most mines. Thanks for posting your ring…always fun to have the pawn tickets!

2 Likes

This was suggested to be blue Diamond turquoise

3 Likes

Could your pin be blue gem turquoise? Very beautiful.

4 Likes

I was under the impression that blue diamond turquoise has a bit of black chert in it. The chert is supposedly what gives it it’s strength, thus the name blue “diamond”. I think i have a piece i bought early in my collecting that I’ll dig out this weekend and post to show an example.

7 Likes

Blue Gem was my thought, too. Gorgeous turquoise!

3 Likes

@Bmpdvm Could the turquoise possibly be #8 turquoise? Just wondering…

@Ziacat When I looked up Blue Diamond turquoise, what I saw looked closer to your stone than the turquoise in bmpdvm’s pin/brooch, imo.

1 Like

Thanks @GreenRock & @chickfarmer…there is really no question, it is much more like Blue Gem than Blue Diamond. I remember the large chunks of chert in Blue Diamond, similar to @Ziacat’s ring and @TaraFawn75’s necklace. I had not looked at this pin for years; I should have checked my references for Blue Gem before posting this. Still, fun seeing Blue Diamond jewelry!

Blue Gem is beautiful. Don’t laugh too hard at me, but it also looks a bit like some really nice natural Kingman that I have seen…

Hey, good to hear from you @GreenRock !

Could be @Ziacat. But when I see the central blue morphing into deep green, with the chocolate brown matrix, I always think blue gem. I bought this from a knowledgeable shop, but who knows who labeled it as blue diamond. When pieces are passed along, information can get garbled.

1 Like

But you know I had to say it, right? :laughing:

2 Likes

I had a funny thought. Since “diamond” is a kind of “gem,” maybe the seller honestly mixed up the terms. Just a speculation!

2 Likes

@chicfarmer That makes sense. Employees at the shop could have created the wrong tag. Kicking myself for not checking it out when I bought it, bit that was so long ago, I was less knowledgeable and more trusting then😄

This was also suggested to be Blue Diamond (but I have no provenance so cannot guarantee it):

5 Likes

Great stone no matter the mine.

1 Like

Whatever the stone is, it is quite lovely as is the setting. Wear it well.

1 Like