Blue Winds Lander Blue Little Bert King Belt Buckle & History

Thanks for the great research Steve! I was not that motivated. That adds to the mystery in my opinion. Part of my growing up was in West Milford, NJ.

Wow Ziacat. I had no idea of those prices :open_mouth:!

you’re welcome. been up and down union valley road renting apartments for my wifes 2 haybellies.

this topic scratched the surface on the subject a few years back

Back in the day there were no apartments on UV Road that I remember. Guess my age is showing.

That ring sure looks like it could be a Hartman creation. If so, the turquoise likely came from his “Blue Winds” stock. Interesting that there is no hallmark.

What is also interesting about my buckle is the label (and I believe it to be original to the buckle) states “Lander Blue turquoise”, not Blue Winds. Makes a person wonder what was going on back in those days.

we hadda bug outta this place in a hurry when things went from bad to worse. now both are up in Warwick NY

Our family moved to New Milford just outside Warwick in 1971. Had a fruit orchard. Lived near Roy Vail, the only gunsmith my dad trusted.

I know, right?! I picked that one because it was from a reputable store. Seems to be a lot of Lander Blue for sale on the Internet Lol

1 Like

Haybellies? Took me a moment :laughing: love it

So you’re a horse person too? Or your wife anyway

1 Like

So I’m not trying to be a downer at all, but how was a buckle with that turquoise going for that price? I would think a seller who knows what it is, would charge a lot more. I believe I remember Jason saying here once, you definitely don’t want to buy not Lander Blue for Lander Blue prices, but this appears to be the opposite?

I agree with your thoughts Ziacat. Seems too good to be true. However, if you saw the deals I’ve found over the years you would be amazed. A guy from Alabama put the buckle up for auction and I guess there happen to be limited interest, perhaps because it was not the vibrant blue typically associated with Lander Blue that made it questionable if people were not aware of the color variations. With over 30 years experience, everything about the buckle looked “right”, and the Durango Silver history fit well also. I did use my XRF to verify sterling when I received it and did some additional research. I feel the turquoise in the buckle is only a medium grade Lander turquoise. I still look in wonder at some of the things I still have and find it hard to believe what they sold for.

If Tim and John purchased around 100 pounds of this material, there is plenty out there. Back in the day I’m confident the “rarity” factor had not yet been fully realized, escalating the prices to the unaffordable. There are likely other vintage Little Bert King “sleeper” pieces out there waiting to be snatched up.

3 Likes

I love a piece with a story behind it.

I haven’t had the luck (although it’s not completely luck if you know what you’re doing :grin:) that you’ve had, but looking back I realize I’ve purchased pretty well through the years, because I’ve tried to be very careful. But for me, what’s helped me is buying in person. I don’t trust my knowledge enough to buy online. I’m also a person who totally connects a piece to memories of when and where I bought it.

I’ve learned a lot from this thread; once again, thanks for sharing!

I’ve only been to NJ once, never really spent time there. But I try to get into as many states as possible (been to 45) so I had to at least cross the border!

1 Like

wife rides on weekends
I bass fish on weekends when the water/weather is warmer

1 Peruvian Paso retired
1 Canadian sport model

Used to bass fish with my dad around W. Milford / Greenwood Lake area. Our best was a 5.5# large-mouth out of the lily pads. I only used a Heddon Meadow Mouse. The pow wows we went to were in the Newfoundland area.

1 Harley Heritage Softail iron horse

Got it, kinda same here. I ride, hubby doesn’t. I don’t own, but am fortunate that my instructor/ dear friend finds me a horse. Last few years it’s a 19 yr old thoroughbred who’s still a bit nutty. Guess that goes with thoroughbred.

Newfoundland Canada? I believe what sparked my love for Native art was all the time my family spent in Canada. When I was little we used to go to pow wows in Ontario near the Manitoba border. Dad back then would hire native fishing guides.

I still get this guy wet but only when a good braid is spooled up.

the muskies on Lake Hopatcong don’t play nice.

1 Like

Wishful thinking. Newfoundland, NJ.

My mouse was reserved for bass. Not a Muskie lure.

1 Like

Steve, thanks for sharing your belt buckle. It is so beautiful and has such a great story behind it ( thanks for the re-telling ) Above and beyond the fantastic price, incredible stones and amazing story the piece is just WONDERFUL! A real piece of art. Thanks again for sharing. Love it.

I recently saw a ring similar to mine for sale on Ebay. He did not advertise it as Blue Wind, but knew it was. Said when he had advertised it as such previously, people told him he didn’t know what he was talking about. LOL

I spoke with John Hartman of Durango Silver Company and was able to verify that this buckle was made by Estelle Hartman at the Little Bert King Company in the 1970s. John stated that the turquoise in this buckle is BLUE WINDS turquoise. John explained that they purchased all the mine produced (not as much as the Lander mine it seems) and the differences between Blue Winds and Lander Blue. So now we have a verified turquoise.

3 Likes