Bone fetish bird and coral necklace

What do y’all think about this necklace? The birds are bone. The beads are sterling and I assume red coral. The birds appear to be hand carved. The clasp is a cheap barrel clasp. It is strung on string not wire. Was the clasp replaced? We’re the parts purchased separately and put together? Does it look like a necklace that was made in Mexico? I appreciate all your inputs.

3 Likes

Its almost like someone had five fetishes and decided to string their own necklace.

4 Likes

I’m not a coral expert by any stretch, and I only have a few pieces with some coral in them. But maybe your coral is real? It seems like there a striations and marks in it like legit coral.

1 Like

The coral might be dyed.

1 Like

That makes sense. I never think of that. I think the coral I have does vary more in intensity. Plus I only have single pieces set in silver, not a bunch like here.

1 Like

I am always trying to learn how to tell if red coral is real and natural. so far it has been difficult for me to tell. Is there ant test that really works that will not destroy the coral?

1 Like

My favorite test is the eye test. I look for even color distribution. Then, if the coral is drilled, I look in the hole to see if the inside color is the same as the outside color.
If all else fails, I wipe a small place with acetone. Most dyed coral will result in some red on what it is wiped with.

3 Likes