Books on Southwest Indian Jewelry?

@Chaparral, how much are you asking for the 3rd? I might be interested.

Wow. @Chaparral I had heard Edition 3 was far more in depth.
saw 3rd edition sale price of $ 254.00 { couldn’t find one less costly. Nope} I saw a onlineThrift store auctioning one for $35. I turned my head and it was gone!.. i have the 4th edition Would like to hear what you think between the two…Thanks! Q

I didn’t know that, thanks. I will take a look at them and see what’s up. Oh my gosh! $254? I was going to charge like $35-40…which I will still do if I decide to sell. Might be selling the new one… lol!

2 Likes

I’d also like your opinion on a comparison of the two books as I only have the 3rd edition and don’t really feel like upgrading. I could use an extra $250 though…

1 Like

I didn’t thoroughly examine them but, there is the obvious size difference. He states for the 4th ed there are 600 more photos, so maybe the size takes care of this. He added 1-2 pages on fakes. He has grouped the shops and manufacturers with their hallmarks in their own section at the end unlike edition 3 where they are interspersed. There are a lot more of them - over 20 pages worth. I do like this feature. It is still organized the same way, alphabetical with hallmarks, but a cross reference in back by initials. It still has the picto section as well. I couldn’t tell if he deleted anything. Overall I think Hougart is a good reference book whichever edition you choose.

2 Likes

I just snatched up a copy of Hougart’s 3rd edition on ebay and emailed the seller to see if he had more. He has 7 copies for anyone interested. I paid 39.99, but you might get a better deal contacting him directly. His email is Laughlin777@sbcglobal.net

2 Likes

Happy Dance :heart_eyes::star_struck::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: All three Volumes of “Zuni, The Art and the People”

4 Likes

I just got my volume 3 in the mail this week too! I’ve had volumes 1&2 for a while but hadn’t been able to find volume 3 at a reasonable price until now.

2 Likes

Yes the intro pages of the 3rd volume are a bit different. It took me a minute to find the publishing date in it. I don’t know how I stumbled into such a deal but they were $103 for the set of 3 books.

1 Like

I’ve been taking pics of the books but have yet to open them lol, see y’all later. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I think for some reason there were a lot less copies published of volume 3 and now copies of it can be pretty pricey. I lucked out and finally found it for $20 though after waiting a while–actually cheaper than the $25 I paid for volume 2. It’s a fun reference with lots of good photos and a home published kind of vibe. Check out page 50 of volume 2. There’s a picture of a bobcat wearing a heishe necklace with no explanation whatsoever!

I thought I did so well on the price, you burst my bubble. Lol I noticed the bobcat just flipping through and assumed it was wearing a piece of their jewelry but looking closer, I see it’s a tab type heshi necklace and their work is nuggets set in silver.

1 Like

@AC & @OrbitOrange,

You’re both a bad influence. Now, I need to look for these 3 books. :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :grin:

2 Likes

There’s a reasonable deal on Amazon right now

1 Like

Oh, that is a good deal!

1 Like

At least OrbitOrange got a good deal, :money_mouth_face:

Ahhhh…your killin’ me… $65 and they look in really good shape.

Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ve more than made up the difference in overpaying for jewelry :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I found something else!
On page 49 of Volume 3, the bottom half of the page has what seems to be 3 Dan Simplicio pieces. No explanation, no mention of him in the book at all, and Carmelita Simplicio’s entry was 8 pages back. I just thought it was funny!

1 Like

Hmm, I see what you’re saying. Those pieces do look kind of Dan Simplico-ish. However, I think they are by Derrick and Vivian Hattie, whose page they are on. The text says “this young couple do inlay and some nugget work, as shown,” so even though the style is very different from their inlay work on the same page, I think it’s still them. Also, I’m no expert on Dan Simplico leaves, but from what I (think I) know, the stamped leaves are not an exact match for his. When I get my phone back from my husband I’ll attach a photograph of the page so that others can know what we’re talking.