Books on Southwest Indian Jewelry?

Sigh, no. It’s a long story but I had to cancel my trip.

1 Like

Spectacular, congratulations!! A keeper for life.

2 Likes

For anyone who has been holding out on buying the Billie Hougart text, there are a few of the latest editions available for $70 OBO currently on eBay. I offered $50, and the seller counter-offered at $60 (which was what I wanted to pay in the first place!) You can also purchase the text directly from Mr. Hougart’s website for $70 too.

eBay listing:

Billie Hougart’s website:
https://billehougartbooks.com/products/native-american-and-southwestern-silver-hallmarks-3rd-edition-by-bille-hougart

1 Like

Apologies for the delay, was my b’day weekend… Jason sent you pics but there are 2 other Dishta squashes in the catalogue, here is a picture of one

The third one is a coral necklace, earrings and ring set, somewhat similar in shape to the other two necklaces, so I didnt take a picture. Hope this helps. Your necklace is a beauty, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

2 Likes

Thank you nac! And thanks for admiring my squash. I bet that coral Dishta is special. Happy birthday!

1 Like

Thank you! Here’s the pic of the coral set, wish they were all in color

3 Likes

Just got back from our Arizona vacation. While there, we visited Ogg’s Hogan in Prescott. If you like vintage Southwest Indian jewelry, baskets, pottery, and weavings, this is the place to go. Bought a nice 1950s Zuni channel inlay watchband with Blue Gem turquoise, but I was also able to page through a C.G. Wallace catalogue for the first time. The owner had 5 of them, but none for sale. Great catalogue. Wish someone offered a reprint for a reasonable price.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing about the shop, someday I’ll have to check it out. Nice that the owner let you look through one of the five catalogues!

1 Like

Is it just hallmarks or any biographical, familial ties?

2 Likes

@karne It mostly identifies hallmarks

1 Like

@Bigbree43
@karne
It’s an auction catalogue that, like most auction catalogues, describes the items and has amazing photos, though not of every piece in the sale.

1 Like

My question had to do with the new hallmarks book that Bigbree43 has recently purchased.

Whenever I read about familial ties, I bookmark the page. You never know when that information could be useful.

Thanks though… another other good resource are the catalogs for a museums and/or specific exhibits.

2 Likes

Oh oops, I’m sorry, I missed the proper post you meant.

1 Like

@karne here is a snapshot from the text. Sometimes there will be tid bits of additional info that will sometimes include family ties, but it’s mostly hallmarks…

I agree I like knowing familial ties. Usually when there is an artist who’s work I cannot afford, sometimes a close relative or student who works in the same style will make jewelry that is a little more in my price range.

5 Likes

Priscilla Apache
Navajo - the niece of Tom Charlie, she carries on her uncle’s classic sterling silver coil design…like this one! Mine 2nd hand, TC mark. Stack%20incl%20Darrell%20Cadman|375x500

10 Likes

I ordered all those books last fall and only showed a couple of them. I’m currently taking pictures of the front and back covers of each. If anyone is interested I can throw them up when I’m done. Here’s my small library of reference books.

6 Likes

I see several I might be interested in.

What would be a good starter book that just identifies hallmarks and turquoise jewelry in general! Jason recommended a good starter book on one of these threads and I cannot remember the author!

1 Like

The next to the last tall book. The blue-green one next to the shorter red one. It is the new updated version of the red one. “Native American and Southwestern Silver Hallmarks 4th Edition” by Bille Hougart…The next, if you just want hallmarks, would be the tall brown book in the middle. “Hallmarks of the southwest” by Barton Wright. It is older and has no actual photos of the marks, just drawn renditions but still very useful.

6 Likes

4 Likes