Buffalo kachina ring?

Was told this is a Buffalo kachina ring, I can’t find much about them online… can anyone tell me approximate value, and maybe some history?

2 Likes

There is an Anglo jewelry maker called Kay Johnson that uses a broken arrow hallmark per the Art-Amerindien.com site. If you google Kay Johnson Kachina you see other kachina rings attributed to her that look like yours. Does that mean she made it? Who knows… it just means that the person with the hallmark that matches yours also made other kachina rings (there is one on ebay now with a buy it now price of $459). The hallmark on your ring and Kay Johnson are close but not an exact match as on her hallmark photo the word “sterling” in in lowe case and it is reverse in orientation. The hallmark on the ebay ring matches yours and the person attributes to Johnson but that could just be because they saw it on the art-amerindien site, not because they know she made it

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the information! That definitely helps me a lot

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I have a ring that I bought as Kay Johnson (knew I had seen that hallmark before) and am going to upload a picture of the hallmark. Maybe it will help.
I also read that Kay Johnson is actually a man. I believe his granddaughter does his online sales for him.

2 Likes

You are correct, Kay Johnson is an Anglo man who sold a lot on eBay. He has now retired and Bruce Johnson his son, has taken over the business.
Not to decry Kay’s work, but I don’t think he produced that ring. To complicated for what I call production pieces.

1 Like