Calvin Begay late 1990's 14K Gold and Opal Bracelet

I’ve researched Calvin Begay-Navajo jewelry designer and know that years ago he sold out his designs to have others do the creating of pieces and therefore can stamp his name on their work. My question is regarding a piece I inherited which was purchased around 1998 at a high-end retailer in Scottsdale, AZ. The signature on the piece is in cursive. If the 14K gold bracelet with opal inlay was done by himself, does that increase the value of the piece?

1 Like

Looking for an appraisal on this delicate gold and opal cuff made by Calvin Begay.
Parents purchased at upscale retailer in Scottsdae, AZ for $3000 around 1998. What would be the retail value today?

Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome. You’re selling it right now on eBay, is that right?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/235442410226?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Not material I can help with. Maybe @Jason has some thoughts.

4 Likes

Yes, i am. I happened to connect with the B.G. Mudd marketer that sold a few pieces of this collection to the jewelers in Scottsdale. She recommended the retail price as Hudson Jewelers she dealt with in the late 1990’s is no longer in business. Thanks so much for your reply, it is much appreciated!

1 Like

in June of 2023 a 14k opal and diamond bracelet by Calvin Begay was put up for auction with estimates between $2500-$3500 and an opening bid of $1200.00

with 5 bidders watching the hammer dropped for $1300.00

6 Likes

Interesting that this name keeps coming up again and again. Ran in to one of the federal investigators for the Indian Arts and Crafts board at their trade show booth a few years ago, and she happened to bring up Mr. Begay’s hallmark specifically with regard to investigations into alleged fraudulent origin claims.

Not long after, this story broke: Indian Arts & Crafts | U.S. Department of the Interior

6 Likes

Is it possible to contact Calvin Begay for authentication?

2 Likes

Wow, what an article! Im just beginning to understand the enormity of these fradulent enterprises. Glad to have this board with all of you so informed!
Thank you so much for your reply!

3 Likes

Steve, thank you for the response. I havent found out his contact information yet but as i dig deeper into this, im realizing how complex the selling of " supposed" native arts really is…will keep the group updated as i continue my mission!

3 Likes