Can we share our squash blossoms?

I remember when i first saw a squash blossom necklace and totally fell in love. Only there was no way a college student could justify spending that much on a necklace. I said, one day… I will buy myself one. 17 years later:

I love that it is entirely hand fabricated. The triangle wire made by drawplate, each bead is slightly different size and strung on foxtail.

Does any one know what kind of turquoise it might be or who made it? I was told it is in the style from the 70s. The turquoise has quartz with occasional specks of pyrite and black dots. I am also curious why there seems to be a small hook in the center of the naja. It doesn’t look like it ever had a pendant there because the hook/loop is too small to fit a reasonable gauge bail or jump ring.

Would also love to see what you all have stashed in your treasure boxes! :raised_hands:

12 Likes

@Zephyr That’s a gorgeous squash blossom necklace! I hope that you get many years of enjoyment wearing it. I can’t think of any other reason for that little loop (in that location) other than for a pendant to hang. Hopefully, others will chime in with some ideas/answers.

2 Likes

Lovely squash. With the presence of pyrite, I would guess either Kingman or Morenci, probably Kingman because it’s so much more commonly used. I agree with Patina about the loop.

I’ve never chosen to buy a squash (not my thing), so I will enjoy everybody else’s!

2 Likes

Nice squash! I love the beads! I see quartz, but am not able to see any pyrite. The chunky dark churt and unorganized matrix remind me of Blue Diamond, but that’s not a type of turquoise I’m overly familiar with. I know there can be specks of pyrite in many types of turquoise; if I could actually see pyrite I’d have to agree with @Ziacat, most likely Morenci or Kingman. So that’s my guess…regardless, very pretty turquoise

I’ve seen some Kingman with the black chert. Seems kinda bright blue for Blue Diamond? Not that I’m expert :laughing::rofl:

1 Like

I’ll add one. I bought this for my wife about 10 years ago

14 Likes

Do you know what mine the turquoise is from? It’s beautiful.

1 Like

Thanks, it is quite beautiful.
I was told by the seller it is Turquoise Mountain. It was made by Ray Delgarito.

1 Like

My post got screwed up somehow.

Yes, it is quite beautiful. I was told by the seller that it is Turquoise Mountain. It was made by Ray Delgarito.

2 Likes

I will add a trio. I have shared the left and right in previous posts. Just received the center one today. I have always wanted a vintage box bow. Wore it out and about and received compliments on its first outing.

14 Likes

Beautiful! I especially love the one on the right. The mostly silver ones are my favorites. And I’m thinking that’s one of the classic photos of Canyon De Chelly on the wall? Nicely displayed!

1 Like

That box bow is fantastic! One style I hope to get someday

1 Like

It is the Canyon! We were hoping to visit but ran out of time last spring. I wish you a wonderful trip!

Edit @Ziacat The one on the right I purchased from Gouldings near Monument Valley last spring. The naja is hallmarked Martha Cayatineto and the dangling teardrop is marked N.W. It is a necklace and earring set. This was my first squash blossom and major N.A. purchase.

1 Like

Thank you. It was represented as #8 turquoise from the 40s.

8 Likes

Nice Squashes and great composition in front of that great Edward Curtis framed photo!
I love Canyon de Chelly and hope to get there this fall. Unfortunately I’ve read that one of my favorite hikes, to White House ruins, is closed…evidently the overlook is closed too😔 (because of law and safety concerns?). In my opinion it’s one of the most beautiful hikes in the Southwest, Maybe it will be open by this fall🤞
Here’s acouple photos from our last hike into the canyon:

6 Likes

Oh no! It’s closed? Bummer…we last hiked it in '14. Love your pictures!!

Edit: just googled and that is correct. It is indefinitely closed. However we have gone there, and taken the guided tours with a local Navajo, and that was pretty amazing; guess that’s the way to go now.

4 Likes

@Bmpdvm Thank you for sharing your photos! Please let us know if you are able to hike or visit the overlook. Where is a good campground in this area? We will have our dogs with us.

Many, many years ago we camped at the park’s Cottonwood Campground (I think that’s the name?). It was nice, but that was a long time ago. Last time we stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge.

Consider taking one of their guided hikes. You get to go to parts of the canyon you can’t otherwise do.

1 Like

Thank you @Ziacat. We will look into Cottonwood campground and Thunderbird Lodge.

1 Like

Love this boxbow squash blossom necklace, something I’m interested in adding as well. Wowee!

1 Like