Can you help identify the maker of this maybe Hopi belt?

This belt is from 1980s. I was told by the woman I purchased it from in Santa Fe that it had been made by a local. I don’t remember the name or which tribe.

3 Likes

I can’t find that mark. It is a nice piece. Looking closely at the cut out work, it’s not perfectly symmetrical so I feel sure it was done by hand. And I would also assume it to be Hopi as this style is called Hopi Overlay.

1 Like

Welcome!!! Wow What a Beauty that is! I did find a similar hallmark

good luck in your hunt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe that’s it. Join the club, I’ve got 3 in the same category of documented but unknown.

Good job finding that @Q-tea!

1 Like

Here is a closer image of the buckle.

2 Likes

Yes, that is really similar. I bought the belt in 1987 exactly because I thought it was so beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you for replying. I thought Hopi, too, but I have absolutely no expertise in this!

1 Like

Hi there, which one are you thinking is the similar mark? Thank you!

Hi! in the photo above its listed under OL2 … the little man with skinny arms, looks very similar to her belt buckle hallmark…

Now I see it. Thank you!

I can’t really see the texture in the black areas of the cutouts. If you can get a really close and clear magnification; then look for hatch marks in the cutout. This is a really good way to identify Hopi, or lack of the marks to identify Navajo. Hopi Example below.

2 Likes

I don’t see clearly defined hatch marks like in your picture. I had a lot of trouble trying to get a picture, but the best one is below.

Here are some better images.

2 Likes

I would guess this is a Navajo made Hopi overlay style belt. Some of the symbols are not what we think about in a Hopi piece, like the Peyote bird and roadrunner. Plus, what has already been pointed out, the etching you typically see in a Hopi piece in the oxidized part of the piece.

3 Likes