Charles Loloma corn maiden!

Here’s a little gem from my grandma absolutely beautiful work! looks like his mark to me:)

6 Likes

hard to tell

any better closer clearer sharper correct color pictures available?

1 Like

Hey @Steve yeah I can take some when I get home here is one more I have

1 Like

Authentication would be necessary if you have no written provenance. There are so many Loloma fakes, including arrests for counterfeiting his work, that you’d have to get it examined for authenticity, sorry to say. For starters it would be necessary to know that Grandma was buying things of Loloma caliber and cost, or otherwise reasonably had access to it. Sometimes it’s pretty clear about a person’s collection. Not asking you to answer, just saying how you start thinking about the probability.

5 Likes

@chicfarmer I figured so. she got it in Tucson in the early 90’s at a gallery while we were on a family reunion I was there she was a avid collector of jewelry and a woman of means. ill send better pix when I can. thanks for the input always appreciated

1 Like

Do you remember the name of the gallery? Was it the Many Goats Gallery on University, or perhaps the Mogollon Gallery off of east Broadway near the Tucson Mall?

I don’t perhaps my auntie or Uncle do ill ask I was young just remember she was looking for a specific artist and running around till she got it. She was that way. Did not buy diamonds and gold just artisan work on her travels weather gallery museum or farmers market.

2 Likes

The stamps he used to sign his work were very distinctive, and it looks like he combined them individually to create his unique signature on each piece.There are many close up shots of his authentic signature stamps around the web. Would be interesting to do a close up layered transparency overlay of the stamps on your mother’s Corn Maiden pendant, and the individual stamps on some of his known pieces. If the individual stamps match up 100%, it’s a very good bet the pendant is one of his.

4 Likes

lo2

5 Likes

Good work. Seems like he uses two different size chisels to make his mark. I didn’t know he also made pottery.

1 Like

full signature examples tested most closely matched ring shots

cut of the L & o chops most closely matched the 3rd pendant sig

2 Likes

Thanks @Steve nicely done! I you are a rockstar my man!

1 Like

Nice work @Steve ! If you really need the ultimate proof you could use a comparison microscope to perform a forensic analysis. Every tool has its own “signature” and you could match tool marks. Of course you would need to purchase another of his works. What better excuse to purchase another piece of jewelry.

1 Like

You’re welcome

I actually have 2 scopes packed away that could do that. Mostly for coin stuff.
1957.BIE.error

For this test using digital photos of a shiny surface, subject to shadows, reflections & JPEG compression artifacts while comparing results to a black/white printed example taken under the same conditions this is the best you can shoot for, that’s why I asked for the better photos.

Def no match to any of the known fake examples which is a good thing

2 Likes

Very nice work as usual, Steve.

No matter resemblance of hallmark, authentication would involve looking at the cutting and nature of the stones, which are key to his particular artistry. Did he typically set with flattened surfaces, or beveling and somewhat convex shaping of certain stones? Is the ivory fossil? Overall weight of the piece? Etc.

In-person evaluation will be definitive. Luckily, there are high-end reputable shops that carry his work, including pendants.

1 Like

Bearing in mind that the stamps were applied individually to create a unique signature on each piece, comparing the signature on the pendant (right), with the stamps @Steve provided, the shape of the stamps with the distinctive notch at the widest point, and the angles and spacing of (especially) the “M” and “A” portion looks to me like the same hand, and same stamps. The materials used in the inlay are consistent with materials Loloma liked to use, notably, Lapis, Gold, Ivory, Jet, Arizona Ironwood. Technically speaking, it looks like the artist created a finished composite cabochon with neatly beveled edges, and inlaid/set it complete in one piece in the silver setting, rather than inlaying piece by piece into the setting and finishing the edges and top afterward. All of the work is exceptionally clean. I personally see no reason to doubt that this is Loloma’s work.

7 Likes

in comparison to this pendant below that actually sold…

I know which one I would feel confident owning

edit to add:

and I agree that a “certified” comprehensive hands on evaluation would settle provenance.

this is the best we can do from the bleacher seats

hold my beer :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thank you all! It was Grandma’s so that’s good enough for me at the moment unless I should have reason to ensure it I found similar in sterling and gold in this size sold for 6-9+k. It’s staying with the family. thank you again to @Steve and @mmrogers for the very helpful input and time. @Steve and @mmrogers if you message me a address I would like to send you a small gift as a token of my appreciation for your time and ongoing contributions to this place.

Wíbthahoⁿ!

ps mmrogers I gather you make jewelry? Steve do you?

I just weighed it it is 17g my scale only goes 0.0

4 Likes

acknowledged & appreciated but my time spent here is given freely and is a small piece of a team effort.

no jewelry making taking place here just yet, more of an urban archeologist (dumpster diver), estate sale/thrift store treasure hunter.

7 Likes

man after my own heart I lived in nyc for 18 years oh the treasures I found in the trash!