Chest plate, maybe not exactly jewelry but can anyone provide any information on this?

I purchased this a few years back from an auction of items that had been stored for years after a Native American museum in PA closed. After many years, they finally emptied the storage and liquidated everything via auction. I would love to know if this has any specific meaning or any information anyone might be able to provide. I’ve been told by a Native woman that the bone hair pipe beads are in fact bone. There is horse hair, a piece of bone and a small jaw of a small animal of some sort. The black ribbon has holes that appear to have held some sort of awards or badges, Please let me know if you have any ideas at all.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I’m not an expert in the artifacts of every Native American tribe, but my instinct tells me this is a modern craft assemblage of unrelated pieces, like a “treasure necklace” you occasionally see, combining found objects (like the jaw and tooth), with silver, craft beads, leather, and other treasures. It’s fun, and makes an interesting conversation piece, in my opinion. Enjoy it!

3 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for the input. I treasure it and think it’s a neat piece.