Chrysocolla or Turquoise Cabs?

Hi all - Novice here. I bought these cabs as turquoise, but in person most of them reminded me more of chrysocolla because how polished, translucent, and varied color they were. The triangle one on the end, I’m not sure about either way. The “nugget” feels very plastic, I’m not sure it relates to the others, and it feels like it has been stabilized to the moon, if it is turquoise. Thoughts?

4 Likes

They look like turquoise for the most part. And they may have been stabilized. The picture with a triangle on the right and an oval and a teardrop on the left is the one that makes me pause. The oval and the teardrop don’t look like the normal turquoise that I see. The rest looks ok to me. Let’s see what the others say.

2 Likes

I agree @Islandmomma . All look to be turquoise except the elongated oval in the third photo. If not for stabilization, a simple hardness scratch test with a pocket knife could be used to get a general idea.

3 Likes

I agree with @StevesTrail
The elongated oval caught my eye right away.
All the others look good.
In fact, the two with the reddish matrix look very good indeed!

1 Like

Here are a couple other photos. Was dye ever done with stabilization, or would the bright teal just happen from the stabilization itself?

Was hard to get good pic of triangle, the matrix is a metallic chocolate color.

1 Like

1 Like

I agree. I have a cuff and pendant with very similar turquoise.

1 Like

I did a long search through my old posts and finally found it. There was apparently a stabilization process that used sodium silicate. I don’t know anything about it. I looked it up way back then but can’t remember right off the top of my head. Here is the turquoise that the discussion was about.
IMG_4704
IMG_4703
IMG_4706

I am posting a cuff that reminds me of your 4th picture.

2 Likes

Yes, turquoise can be dyed and stabilized. Don’t know about your stones. What is Enhanced Turquoise? – Turquoise Skies.

But I believe a stone could be bright just from the stabilization, however I am not an expert!

2 Likes