"Comanche Dancer" Bolo by Eldred Martinez

Another of those “it just called out to me” pieces. I’m still studying on who Eldred Martinez is, The work seems excellent. Anyone else collect this persons work? 4-3/8" x 1-3/4" and 42 g. Ok, lots of pictures.

A face book page entitled “The Jewelry of Eldred Martinez” where you can see this same piece along with others.

11 Likes

That piece is stunning! A real work of art.

1 Like

And it’s pretty darn big. Here is a Morgan dollar for scale

3 Likes

Simply stunning, I’ve never seen anything like it. Congrats on a great acquisition.

He makes some great pieces. His butterfly maidens are really popular and have this same combination of etched stones along with smooth inlaid pieces.

7 Likes

He is very talented. I will get more if I can, and can afford.:wink:

Eldred is Zuni and lives in Zuni, NM. He is a quiet, unassuming man. I have gotten to spend time with him and I have a large collection of his work. He is one of my favorite contemporary artists.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m getting that from him and his granddaughter, who helps with his Facebook page, where we’ve interacted some. As I’ve become more educated in the technicality of inlay work, that is, to really look at the spaces between the stones and the channels and are there any gaps and/or fillers, Things like that and not so much the overall look of the piece at arms length. With that sort of eye, Eldred’s work quickly rose to the top. I would love to see a piece or two of yours that you consider your favorites. :star_struck: Have a great new year everyone!!!

3 Likes

the lower part of the costume, in pic 2, is that fordite? gorgeous piece!

@Jemez I think it’s rainbow calsilica

That’s a new one for me!! Thanks!

1 Like

Yes…rainbow calsilica. I had to go look it up when I got it.

1 Like

I found this today. EDIT: Never mind, the link worked for 1 day

1 Like

Stunning! Imagine the time each piece takes.whew… Love this.
Great find @AC!

1 Like

The hummingbird pendant/brooch and the eagle dancer bolo were both done for us in 2019. The eagle is 6" and they are both just awesome but don’t hold a candle to what Eldred’s granddaughter was wearing at the UNM PowWow this past May.

4 Likes

Awesome pieces you have there! I purchased my first Eldred piece, the Comanche dancer, via online auction from a third party. I was so impressed by the work that I looked and was able to find Eldred’s Facebook page and order from him via his granddaughter who runs the page. I got the rain dancer set with necklace, cuff and earrings. I see in your picture of her, she is wearing the matching ring to the set I have on her pointer finger. I need that ring!!! Lol The coolest thing was that they sent me pictures of the pieces in production which I treasure also.

5 Likes

I collect older pieces but couldn’t resist Eldred’s talents. Like you, they kept me informed of progress through pictures. I too look forward to more of his work and will hopefully meet him when we get out to the area again.

4 Likes

So Awesome!! I love that shot of the hummingbird with all its stones sitting next to their silverwork. Same for me on the new stuff, mostly concentrate on older things. However I’ve also bought contemporary things from Fredrick James Platero and Steven L. Chrisjohn.

2 Likes