Concho belt age/authentic?

We get pendants from Bo Reeves that he makes from silver coins.

1 Like

Another close example of @TaraFawn75’s buckle on a concho belt. This time described as 1930s and priced at $3750. The stampwork on this buckle is slightly different, but the overall shape and repousse design is the same. The repousse from the back looks more hand struck. Would love to hear @Jason’s thoughts. Would the JB Tanner hydraulic buckles from the 1970s have been copies of a handmade version?

2 Likes

I recently started wearing that belt and oh boy do I love it. It’s heavy & lays nice.

2 Likes

Another example. This one is attributed to Leon Dickie and Marry Watson and dated 1960s-1970s. Same stampwork on front, but the back is different than the first examples in this thread. I’ll admit, this buckle has captured my attention and interest. Regardless of how it is made, it’s a great design.

2 Likes

That looks legit, nice belt.

2 Likes

@TaraFawn75 This morning, I was flipping through Indian Jewelry of the American Southwest, by William Turnbaugh © 1988, pp.76 and saw this belt. Interesting the author credits its design to Hosteen Goodluck. Not sure if he means the exact design or the overall design of closed-center conchos and butterfly spacers.

2 Likes

Good example of a die struck edge.

1 Like