Concho belt age/authentic?

A friend recently acquired this belt trying to figure out its age, authenticity. No markings
…anyone have any input?

Thank You

6 Likes

Do you mind sending a picture of the backside?

1 Like

Hi Jason

A local trader in town named JB Tanner was having these made in the early 1970s. They are made using a hydraulic press, that is why the back looks different. I am including a picture of a handmade one and then another like yours to show you the difference.

This is done using a stamp.

3 Likes

Thank you, great information.
What do you think an estimated value would be on the belt?

It has gotten expensive to make concho belts and that is always reflected in these older pieces, $1500.

1 Like

Jason,

So are these NA (Navajo) made?

1 Like

Jason, can you clarify your pricing estimate: do you mean that for the drop-press one in the original post (and in the Tanner types), or the handmade example? (It would surprise me to see that high a dollar amount for a drop-press one.)

2 Likes

Bringing this one BTTT. Interesting thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

For the press piece. We have been getting new handmade belts by Roger Skeets Jr. and those are working out to $2250 - $3000 depending on the stone. These belts still have lots of silver and real turquoise, using techniques like a Fred Harvey.

3 Likes

Oh that’s more generous pricing than I figured. Though yes, the hand-worked good ones do range quite a bit higher.

2 Likes

@Jason, are the hydraulic press conchos NA (Navajo) made?

1 Like

It would be a workshop of Native Americans, you still have to set stones and bezel, polish the piece, add the backings all hand done.

1 Like

Thanks Jason. Great information!

1 Like

Hey @Jason,

In this thread, you mentioned you were getting new belts by Roger Skeet, Jr. as of October '20. I believe Roger was born in 1933, which would make him around 87 years old at that time. Doing any type of handmade craft at 87 is very impressive. Curious if he is still active today and if he is still able to execute his trademark precision stampwork. I admire his work and happy to hear he is healthy and still going strong.

4 Likes

This is one we just got back from being buffed, not even on the leather yet. We see him frequently and he is still very active. His sister Annie worked at Richardson’s Trading Company for years and always shared some amazing stories of her and her brother helping their father make jewelry for C.G. Wallace. Annie has passed. I do believe that Jr’s daughter does help him.

9 Likes

Beautiful belt and great to see that he’s still making

3 Likes

Thanks @Jason. Wow, his workmanship is still perfect! Between his years of knowledge and experience and being directly tied to the golden years, it must be a thrill to chat with him.

3 Likes

That is one magnificent piece, the workmanship is really amazing. How fortunate for you to have had this opportunity!

2 Likes

@TAH

My friend gifted me the belt I believe she acquired it many moons ago from an antique store in Wyoming

1 Like