Concho Belt - Authenticity and Appraisal

Thanks Mike! The unique, round, silver work around the stones is what caught my eye. I was thinking the round features were repoussé bump outs from the back. Interesting.

2 Likes

Have never seen repousse pattern through the metal that way, but a first hand exam would clear that question up. Either way, it’s unique and cool, and something I haven’t seen done quite this way before.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I am really honored to have you share your wealth of knowledge. I took these pictures with my phone but if it helps I can pull out the camera for a few more clear and larger DPI and angles on the initials.
Honestly, I am just floored with the responses.

Thank you, John

P.S. I apologise for the delays in responding, as you might imagine I have my two hands full with “cleaning house and hard decisions”.

6 Likes

IMHO @JStanley , my take on the hallmark thanks to @Islandmomma looks like Fred Thompson which would be in line with @mmrogers dating the belt. It sure has that pre mid century feel to it. The “snake” (if it is and not part of the silver, hard to say by the picture) is not directly under both letters but it was probably a separate stamp and just not lined up.

3 Likes

Not sure about the Fred Thompson attribution unless it is very early work with an early hallmark. If you look at other concho belts made by him, there are no design similarities that match John’s buckle. Also, when Fred used his double T hallmark, the T’s touched at the top and the snake curved down on the left (not up), as shown in Barton Wrights book (thanks @Islandmomma) and the hallmark on this Fred Thompson ring.

According to Bischoff’s Gallery, Fred did work for Tobe Turpen, who also used a double T hallmark, but again, the T’s touched: Fred Thompson bio

John, welcome to the forum and condolences on your loss. Regardless of who made the belt, it’s a beautiful piece and will be a treasured remembrance of your father.

6 Likes

6 Likes