Concho Belt - Authenticity and Appraisal

I found this belt among my father’s belongings and haven’t seen one quite like it here so I am seeking some assistance in identifying and possible appraisal, please.
The belt weighs 1.14 lbs, is,
Approx. 37.5 in in length and has,
1 in. piece of leather securing the conchos and butterflies woven through a background of leather (3 in. at widest) that frame each piece.
The large silver pieces measure approx. 2-7/8 in. X 2-5/8 in. while the butterflies are approx. 2-3/8 in. X 2 -1/4 in.
The buckle is approx. 2-7/8 in. X 2-5/8 in. and appears to have two initials lightly punched into the back of the buckle. All have what appears to be turquoise set centered plus the six stones set in the buckle.
It is a beautiful belt and any assistance that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. I have several pictures that I will post as soon as I figure out the process.

4 Likes

Could you post clear photos of both sides and the initials? Some close-ups would also be helpful. Just click on the mountain icon to upload photos.
Thanks.

3 Likes

see if this helps

3 Likes

Well, shoot, no photos. I’m always interested in seeing a concho belt. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

I apologize, I cannot find any place to upload pictures!

Buckle Initials

Finally! :o)

8 Likes

Finally figured out how to upload pictures. Thank you for your patience. If you want other images, please let me know. Regards.
Buckle Initials

5 Likes

Thank you Steve for your help.

I am not sure if each reply with pictures puts the images where everyone can view, but if this is not the case, I can forward pictures to you…now that I know how! Regards

2 Likes

the image with the red arrow, back of buckle appears to have a hallmark T T but the resolution is very small and hard to read clearly.

do you have the original full size picture B4 the red arrow was added?

1 Like

Here you go, a couple with various lighting. Thank you Steve. john

1 Like

TT

1 Like

I found this, but the Amerindian site is known to have some errors, and I don’t have the larger Native American hallmark books. I’m thinking your belt’s hallmark has that little dot; it’s just hard to see?

1 Like

Are the letters really “T’s”? My eyes may be playing tricks but I wonder if at least the first letter might be a J.

3 Likes

I have seen a similar hallmark before.
The first letter looks like a T of sorts, with a swirl on the bottom.
belt

1 Like

I went to Barton Wrights book and took a picture. Maybe this will help some.

2 Likes

You might be right, and that could be a j or a swirl. I just thought it was something from the process of the silversmithing unrelated to the hallmark. I can’t really tell.

2 Likes

So then could that be a swirly/wavy line under it like the Fred Thompson mark? I originally thought the swirl/wave was from the making of it, but seeing the page from the book helped.

3 Likes

Interesting belt with some unusual silver work around the stones.

@mmrogers What do you think, Mike?

3 Likes

Hey Tom. The belt is definitely handmade, and has some age to it. It’s made in a style one would expect to see from about the 20’s or 30’s through the 50’s, but that doesn’t mean it was made during that period. Could well be homage made anytime up to 20 or so years ago.

One interesting item is the round patterned feature used on the outer corners of the buckle, and the centers of the butterfly stations. It looks like the silversmith used a round stamp on the back of the buckle to ‘map’ the locations of the round features, and after the circles were soldered on the top, used the same stamp to pattern them. Pretty darned clever, and really expert work.

Love the arrowhead repousse stamps, and round bump ups. Really cool!

6 Likes

That’s my thought, too. But, just not sure. Can’t quite tell from photos if the bottom of the “J” is simply an errant mark in the metal. At other times, I clearly see “T T”. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like