Coral necklace and earrings

I found this set in an antique mall…one of those that rents stalls to people. I am in an area where you really can’t find anything native american. I saw it a few weeks ago, but didn’t buy it. I went back today and it was still there. I bought. Any thoughts on it?

What was it sold to you as? I am thinking those are glass beads?

3 Likes

Just like that…in the box…sitting in the case.

Here is the web page of him and his wife.
http://www.migrations.com/jewelry/jewelry4henry.html

There is a necklace there with the same style of coral beads.

Interesting…this was written on the back of the card.

1 Like

Why not send them a photo of the set and ask for info about it?

That is a great idea…thank you so much.

The website is grossly out of date so possibly a difficult path to the artists. The necklace prices, though, do indicate souvenir-level items and so ideally the pricing should have reflected this.

It could easily be coral I think - I’ve some old strands from my grandmother that I’ve not done anything with - she bought them in Arizona in the '70’s.

1 Like

It’s a minefield, the use of the word “coral” in the marketplace. See these coral glass beads similar to OP’s, though possibly different in size.

https://www.aaandj.com/vintage-native-american-brick-red-coral-glass-beaded-necklace-set/

Unless something else is revealed via online search, it seems the maker sold gift necklaces for casual tourists. This speaks to materials, too.

4 Likes

If you have a jewellers loupe at hand look at the beads and see if you can see fine lines running down the length or across the length if the beads. Glass that has the appearance of coral has 100s of very tiny air bubbles under a loupe and the structure is totally different. I tend to think that they maybe coral. But without seeing them it is difficult. If you can get a clear picture of one or two of the largest beads i might be able to tell.

2 Likes

I sent for a Jewelers loupe…received today. The beads have the lines running through them…so I can assume coral?

Its more than likely it is coral.

2 Likes

It looks like real coral to me. Dip a small section in vinegar or hydrogen peroxide(or break off one bead) and look for bubbles to start forming. Bubbles = coral. They don’t looked dyed but to check for dye use acetone (fingernail polish remover). Dip a q tip in acetone and then rub on small section of coral. If the coral is dyed it will come off on the q tip. Amber is right that you should see fine lines with a loupe. I see little pits in some of the beads and that is also a sign of real coral. The beads are very irregular which also indicates coral rather than glass.

2 Likes