Coral or glass?

This necklace was advertised as an old pawn coral and silver necklace. I bought it but now that it is in my possession i actually think these might just be glass beads. The beads are too small and irregularly shaped to check for striations even under magnification. I applied vinegar to the beads to see if it bubbled(which was suggested as a test for determining whether something was genuine coral vs glass beads). In my case, there were no bubbles so therefore i assume my necklace is a complete fake. Are there other “tests” that can be performed on the “coral”? I am leaning toward returning the necklace since it was totally misrepresented. Thanks. I value your opinions and guidance

I don’t think you need to test that, it looks to be glass. It does look like it has some age, and a good look.

1 Like

I have to agree with Jason, looks like glass. If vinegar did not change the beads to a paler frosty look. It is not coral. Coral is made of calcium carbonate (limestone) this dissolves in vinegar. Kyle

1 Like

I’d return it in a heartbeat. The seller might have sold this in order to make money by trickery, or because of them not knowing one material from the other. But you know what your aim was.

1 Like