Could it be Number 8?

This afternoon i saw a turquoise tab necklace online and thought wait, that looks just like my necklace.
A reputable store had it and they called it “Vintage Number 8 Turquoise Santo Domingo Necklace”. I had stopped wondering about what kind of turquoise my necklace might be and have been simply wearing and enjoying it, but now curiosity is starting to get the better of me again. Could it be a match?

5 Likes

They do look similar…Which is which?

3 Likes

Ah excuse me, the left one is the photo that i saw online

1 Like

@Bluegreen The style & turquoise in these pretty necklaces looks similar to me, too. I’m a bit puzzled, though. I have a couple of rings with #8 turquoise and it looks different than these necklaces. Just wondering if the necklaces could be Hubei turquoise. I’m not an expert on turquoise so just sharing my thoughts.

2 Likes

I agree with you, i think some of the green tints and dark matrix resemble Hubei turquoise colours.

Late yesterday night i saw another vintage #8 tab necklace online that i thought looked similar (pictured below on the left):

and tried a matrix comparison

Then when i thought i almost had it figured out, i started looking at more turquoise mines and suddenly they all looked the same lol. I know this is probably all a waste of time, but i must confess that i do enjoy researching and mixing and matching photos trying to figure things out.

2 Likes

I agree with you that it’s really fun to look and research, and we all know we’re giving educated guesses. Just remember that when you see things labeled Number 8 (or Bisbee, Lander Blue, or any other highly desirable mine) online, very often they are wrong (or don’t know, and they’re just picking out a name of a mine that sells better). You want to look at places like Durango Silver, Perry Null, Waddell Gallery, or others that we’ve mentioned on here before (those were just the first that came to mind). I don’t trust a lot of the others; I have been come HIGHLY selective of online sites.

I feel like for me it’s especially hard to tell with the type of necklace you have, what kind of turquoise it might be. Some of it does look like it could be Chinese. But then we all know Kingman is everywhere, so could be that too. That vintage (supposedly) Number 8 tab necklace you just posted kind of has a Chinese turquoise look to me.

1 Like

Thank you @Ziacat , you are 100% spot on. That is indeed a big part that fueled my curiosity, the thought that i unknowingly could have stumbled upon some coveted turquoise.
I too trust few online sites and try to stick to American stores that have been operating for decades, like the ones you mention (didn’t know about Waddell though, thanks for that tip!).

I was just looking through last years’ photos and found a couple of these mix 'n match photo comparisons where i was thinking i was seeing Bisbee and Kingman in the necklace lol. I guess it will remain a mystery and i also forgot to mention that a handful of beads look a little different and have way larger holes drilled in 'em, so there might be a mix of stones in there too.

1 Like

I also wondered if there might be a mix of stones. Whatever the case, I really like your necklace!

2 Likes

Thank you @Ziacat! Every time i look at these things i feel very blessed

1 Like