Counterfeit Sunshine Reeves Rings?

I stumbled across this on ebay just now researching a Delbert Gordon I was considering buying. Listed as DG, but photos describe Sunshine Reeves. The seller is located in China. It looks good in the photos, but seriously, are these coming to the USA? Or do you guys think maybe they are collecting your money and not sending item?

Well… Several things would certainly steer me away from this vendor.

1. Each ring shows the same exact stone, even though they are listed at separate prices.
  2. As you said, the prices are unbelievable. Under $10 for a vintage ring??? NOT.

I don’t think that it’s a case of “Take your money and send you nothing”, but more a case of get your credit card info, and sell that to some unscrupulous type. You would get some knock-off piece of crud worth just about what you paid for it.

My Two Cents Worth…

5 Likes

I agree totally. I personally don’t usually even look at listings from that area of the world. There are so many knockoffs and not just Native American goods. My advice would be to pay close attention to the details and listen to your gut feelings.

2 Likes

Hmmm…I wonder if I should report them? I didn’t realize all these fakes were a thing and I bet there are others. Definitely something to be cognizant of. Thanks guys!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, these days too few people know the phrase “Caveat emptor” … Let the buyer beware. And the unscrupulous take advantage. It’s been happening for millennia.

2 Likes

I believe these are the people that send you a terrible knock off that they make based off of that ring. I don’t think it is even sterling. Look at similar offers/sellers on Amazon then read the feedback,and look at any posted pics of what was received. Some are sadly historical.
Then you’ll understand. There should be feedback on on the sellers you are looking at ebay as well.

1 Like

You should report these.

It’s not fair to the gullible, and certainly not fair to Sunshine Reeves since it cheapens the value of his real works.

3 Likes

or Delbert Gordon’s work

1 Like

Agree with above comments.
The amount of counterfeit Native jewelry being offered is increasing greatly.

Does anyone remember the counterfeit handbags that flooded the market previously? Same concept.

I feel bad for the artists whose work is being copied. That someone would have the moxy to actually use Hallmarks/Names of well known artists on their junk jewelry irks me.

Recently I saw more Squash Blossom necklaces offered for less than $10.00 each. They were listed as replica jewelry. Here is part of the description:

Let theese beatifull necklaces transport you too the days of cowboys and injuns.
Euch necklace contains genuin howlite stones that have been colored to look like turquoise.
Our supplier has purfected a process to make alloy metal look like real silver.

.Euch necklace comes with a certificate saying it is a replica of a necklace that sold for over $1000.00 USD.

Way too many warning signs in the above description. But, at least they were honest about the pieces being replica’s.
I wonder if they have Hallmarks on them?

2 Likes

I stumbled across another one last week. I figure if it’s shipping from China or India it’s fake. Especially when they claim to be making the stuff.

1 Like

The hallmark issues are getting worse. Today I had an item that had a legitimate-looking hallmark. I posted it to the fake FB page because I had other questions. (said item being inlay). Later I listed a ring in my store and I know is an import. I listed it as costume jewelry and import and it has some sort of hallmark or something inside the band. The mark is 3 symbols but it’s impossible to determine if they are letters or numbers. I think we are going to see more hallmark fraud in the future.

2 Likes

I have seen counterfeit Herbert Cellicion inlay pieces from the Philippines also. They are nickel silver, but are quite convincing fakes.

2 Likes

Those Chinese sites are known for fakes and knockoffs. And they sell junk until enough people
complain, then reopen as a new site/seller. They will send you an item but it will be a cheap replica of the real thing. And you can return it, but for a “restocking fee” after which they’ll refund whatever is left of what you paid months later. You also have to pay for return shipping to China. This is what happened when my cousin bought some clothing from a site like this…it was not worth the trouble to return the junk. Definitely buyer beware.

I had seen an article in a beauty magazine or blog addressing knockoff makeup brands sold on these Chinese bargain sites (I mention here because I see one of those kits featured in the article in the picture on the original post) and how the kits contained ingredients that burned and scarred some buyers to the point of requiring reconstructive surgery. A testament to how rampant these fakes are and how bold those selling them are.

2 Likes