Crazy concho

Thank you so much @TAH ! That was so informative, yet sad at the same time. Can I ask you what “Phase 3” means?

2 Likes

That belt is a knockout! I hope you get a chance to buy it at a friend/family price. :green_heart:

4 Likes

On my laptop this looks like a copper belt. Is it copper or silver?

It is amazing.

2 Likes

Well. I clearly need new friends.

Seriously, amaaaaazing belt. And love the turquoise, too.

And the diet coke (in a can, the best) tells me you are my kind of people :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I’m a bit confused. The overall “patina” does look more like copper and the piece is stamped Sterling (could have been stored in a home with gas forced hot air which I’ve seen can really turn silver). Also, his marks referred to in the link from @TAH are different from this piece.

2 Likes

Oh my. What a horrible sad end to his life. So glad to see his family is carrying on with his legacy.

2 Likes

I’m guessing it just the light and patina. I’ve had some pieces I’ve photographed in certain light look like that in the pic.

3 Likes

Hmmm, I was going by the hallmarks below and the belt appears to be in his style. I do see he used two other hallmarks along the way.

KS hallmark on indian jewelry for Kirk Smith Navajo silversmith
Kirk Smith
Navajo

4 Likes

Thanks for the extra marks! The belt looked “right” to me.

5 Likes

Definitions and time frames for the three phases can vary and can be confusing, at least to me. In the book, A Study of Navajo Concha Belts, by Donald Richards, Kirk Smith belts are all listed as Phase 3 probably due to date of creation, but also the belts’ style with closed-center conchos and butterfly spacers with stones.

This thread might be helpful: Navajo Jewelry: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Phase Time Frames?

6 Likes

Thank you @Islandmomma . I probably won’t be able to get it at friends and family prices. She thinks it’s a chief’s belt worth $10-20k! But now that I’ve identified the maker thanks to @TAH and see there are others (some with added colored stones too) for the $5k price range, that may bring her back down to earth on it. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

@fernwood , I believe it is silver. I’ll test it next time I visit. I do have some sterling pieces that have a copper hue to them. From what I read about that, some sterling has a small % of copper in it and that can give it that hue.

2 Likes

Thank you for the read on phases @TAH ! I can’t wait to check it out this evening. You’ve all been so helpful! I’ll keep you posted if anything further develops with this piece. I’m in the Midwest and we don’t see things like this often.

3 Likes

Good luck with that @GreenRock . I’ve found that “Perception is Reality” with most people.

5 Likes

Yes, I certainly hope you can get her back to reality. Kirk stuff is pretty expensive. I have several pieces and have had to sort of step up to the plate for them. And I think I got good deals on all of them at less than the going retail. However, they weren’t cheap.
Also, to address Steve’s comment about copper, I live in the southeast by the coast and around here the humidity will turn silver so black that it looks copper. A lot has to do with the environment. Photography can also play a part.
Green rock that is one gorgeous belt and I hope you get it! :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Show her this one that sold last week…

https://www.hughesauctions.com/auction-lot/kirk-smith-1957-2012-navajo-sterling-large-concho_6194AFD995

3 Likes

@TAH , that sold at auction price is awesome! Wow, somebody may have gotten a deal there. Like @Islandmomma said, she’s always going to think it’s worth a million bucks. But I can start planting the seeds now that it’s not, and maybe by the time she’s ready to let it go I’d be able to afford it.:crossed_fingers:There are actually quite a few online for sale. I’m kind of surprised people are willing to let them go. Or maybe they’re repro’s???

4 Likes

I’ve come across people like that - and just shook my head and moved on. I also agree with @Islandmomma . By the time you convince her you will likely be dealing with the estate.

5 Likes

I’m curious as to what she means when she says that it is “a chief’s belt.” Does she have some knowledge of the social or political status of a previous owner or wearer of the belt, or their position within a particular tribe? Is that just a phrase she uses to refer to something that is really big?

It’s a large belt with a lot of silver and turquoise by a talented, collectable, deceased maker who isn’t making any more. It’s a lovely belt and certainly very valuable. But calling it a “chief’s belt” seems imply some provenance that I’m not sure she has, or increased importance beyond a belt made for commercial trade, which this is. If she’s “always going to think it’s worth a million bucks,” maybe your best bet is to start looking for one online.

1 Like

@OrbitOrange apparently she had someone look at it after she purchased it and that’s what she was told. No provenance. My guess is whoever looked at it never saw one that large and assumed it was made for someone important. I take what sellers tell me with a grain of salt. She found it in the store window.of some funky shop along the Mississippi 40 years ago.

1 Like