David Yellowhorse cuff bracelet

I’ve had this bracelet for a long time and have never known anything about it until fairly recently. I contacted David through his website and asked about the condition of the bracelet and about the turquoise. He was very nice and told me that the bracelet was exactly as he had designed it. Never answered about the turquoise. Last week my Dad gave me a knife he had made for me out of a block type of turquoise that is sold for knife handles.
My question is whether the bracelet is also a block turquoise? Especially since David is best known for his knives. All help is truly appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. The bracelet doesn’t appear to have been worn much and is in its original box with the paperwork.

2 Likes

Stick a hot pin into the side of one of the stones, you will find out if it’s block right away. If not, no harm done

1 Like

Thanks. I knew that—-been laying around taking meds for too many days. Off to work tomorrow no matter what. Think I’ll go get a needle.

Just tested twice and had the needle red hot. Nothing happened so it appears that I have turquoise. Now I’m really curious about what it is.
Very bright blue, black veins and some shiny silver pyrite looking spots.

mmm I am not so sure that a hot needle will detect all block turquoise. Love to hear Jason’s thoughts on this one.

1 Like

I would too. It has that “too good to be true” look and just doesn’t have the right feel.

While we’re waiting for Jason, what is the brand on the knife? Main blade should be stamped.

It definitely has the look of block turquoise. You don’t start seeing compressed turquoise until after this custom date. So, I am not sure what else we are making block out of, plastic. We can have dyed howlite https://plugsonly.com/products/turquoise-dyed-howlite-stone-plugs. What is also confusing is 1995, turquoise is not as expensive and why would this artist not want to use real material. Can you get a picture in a natural light, don’t see the stones real well.

Little inexpensive one with no name stainless steel. He is supposed to be making me one with Damascus steel for the kitchen. Looking forward to that one!

1 Like

I’ll try to get some when I get home this afternoon. He makes a lot of knives not jewelry which is why I thought it was block turquoise. Real turquoise Isn’t going to hold up on a knife handle.

Took a few more pictures buts it’s overcast here with rain coming in tonight so I’m not sure how much better they are.
The turquoise looks plastic like but is cold to the touch like real stone. I’m stumped. Do you know anyone familiar with him and his work that might have inside knowledge?

1 Like

I would go with an imitation turquoise, plastic? You should ask the maker, sounded like you have talked to him?

1 Like

I actually just got an email from him saying that it was Kingman turquoise. And that Kingman was very hard and that’s why it was so shiny. So now we’re no further ahead than we were before. LOL
Maybe it is Kingman with some sort of coating over it?

1 Like

You did your needle test, so it is not plastic. I would go with what the artists says it is.

1 Like

David said my bubble ring he made in 1978 was kingman too!

2 Likes