Didja hear some *good* news for a change?

shoulda kept better track of the announcement but…

a bunch of locations will no longer be called “squaw”-something! somebody finally noticed what a crap word that is. 'way overdue,eh?

3 Likes

Deb Haaland is doing great things!!!

4 Likes

Your referring to what they call “squaw wrap”. Found on necklaces without a clasp, where the string/s used to thread the turquoise are wrapped together and interwoven with each other so as to form one continuous join without a knot or lumps.

yeah,had to grit my teeth but didn’t know another name

Navajo wrap, whipping wrap, neck wrap. A well-known dealer used “Navajo wrap” in email to me.

2 Likes

thanks-pleased to have a better name

1 Like

I’m an avid skier, and happy to hear that Squaw Valley ski resort recently changed its name to Palisades Tahoe:

Would love to hear examples of other locations and businesses that are making similar changes. Of course, there’s always the Washington Football Team.

2 Likes

Not always a negative. My good friend Delaine Spilbury has been operating her jewelry business under the monicker “Ms. Squaw” for decades, and doing rather well. Delaine has a keen sense of humor though, and a rapier wit. An electrical engineer who hunted bear with a bow.

https://shoshoniproject.utah.edu/language-materials/great-basin-indian-archives/delaine-stark-spilsbury.php

Saw her a few years ago at the last ever IACA market in Albuquerque, her booth packed with customers. She’s a national treasure, and would be a terrific resource for those here on the forum who would care to get in touch

2 Likes

More on the history of the s-word: Link

1 Like

Very interesting article.

1 Like