Does anybody recognise this hallmark?

Although the owner could not help me with the hallmark I purchased this cuff watch last summer from a shop in Prescott, AZ. He assured me it is Bizbee turquoise but now I am beginning to have my doubts. Although I find SG as relating to either Sam Gray or Stanley Gene, the cuff does not appear to me to be in the style of their work.

I couldnā€™t find any SG that seemed to work either. I couldnā€™t think of many Navajo G last names either. Doing a little research the name Guerro seems to have a large family of smiths that worked in this traditional style. The bracelet looks like a 1980s style piece, not sure I would call this Bisbee. Nice piece and enjoy.

Jasonā€¦thanks for looking & the infoā€¦billgr0248

FWIW, I have a bracelet purchased at Santa Fe square from a Navajo with last name Guerio but my limited resources havenā€™t shown anything with that last name.

Hello @TryingToLearn, Itā€™s best to open a new post with your question(s), photos of all sides including close-up of hallmark and all you may know about the piece. Thank you.

Sorry if I didnā€™t make myself clear. I wasnā€™t looking for an answer but was just suggesting research into that name. I purchased it from the artist and know he is Navajo so I thought Iā€™d pass that on as a last name beginning with ā€˜Gā€™. None of the reference books I have show that name either!

I knew what you meantā€¦thanks. How long ago did you purchase your ā€œGā€ in Santa Fe? Maybe he is still around the square & I can look him upā€¦billgr0248

Purchased in 2015. Didnā€™t see him there in 2017 but his work was recognized and I was told he had been there the week before. His name is Rody Lee Gueiro. He made sure to tell me there is no ā€œNā€ in his first name!

1 Like

Well it seems Iā€™ve had his name wrong for the past 4 years. It is Rodey Lee Guerro, he is still listed as a vendor and has been very outspoken about policies relating to selling at the portal. I found several articles relating to this.

Thanksā€¦still havenā€™t been able to find an ā€œSā€ Guerro.

Hougartā€™s 4th edition has 2 listed, Stanley Gene and Sampson Gray. The font looks right for the Sampson Gray mark but the book shows a buffalo outline with a copyright symbol inside it, below the SG. The font for Stanley Gene is way off, of coarse they change over time as stamps break and have to be replaced.