Does This Look Familiar?

Hi all,

My grandfather died about a decade ago and my mom gave me the piece pictured below and a similar ring that was in his possession. She assumed that the markings on the back stood for the Aquarius sign and since I was the only other one in our family I should have it, so we went forward with that assumption for years. I took it to someone who has studied jewelry to make it into a proper necklace and he informed us that what we thought was an Aquarian symbol was actually a Native American hallmark. Well, that was a shock to me and my mom. So I started to do some light research and didn’t really find anything that looked like the making on the back, so I thought I would try here. Is it indeed a piece of Native American jewelry? Any knowledge or leads would be most appreciated. Thanks.

3 Likes

Hmmm…I don’t recognize the mark, and the pendant doesn’t look particularly Native American to me. Anglo artists often use hallmarks also.

Maybe someone else here will have a resource that has the hallmark identified. I checked a bit and couldn’t find it.

3 Likes

Interesting, It took me a moment to understand that it’s a lady pouring water from a large container. I have no idea about the hallmark, it’s not in the pictorial section of Hougart’s hallmark book.

2 Likes

Nope, not Native American work. Looks like hippie artisan creation, perhaps inspired by the 60s-70s revival of Art Nouveau.

2 Likes

It looks like your mother may have been right. To me it looks like a loose interpretation of the Aquarian figure from astrology. Not Native American. :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks for the information, everyone. I had a feeling it might not be Native American like I was told when I started to look through hallmarks. Now I get to try and solve the mystery of who may have actually made this.